Prologue

Barry sat at the rounded table in an overly fancy restaurant. Waiters in well-tailored suits went from table to table, each one having a white cloth draped over them. Miscellaneous utensils and items were upon the tables. Different sized spoons, forks, and even knives. Some menus would lie waiting for the men to collect them from the now empty seats. Fancy salt and pepper shakers would typically be sat in front of the customers if they so desired it, but most of them didn't seem to care about the seasonings.

Normally, this wasn't his kind of scene. He'd much rather go somewhere else that was more down to earth and chill. A cafe would be a nice thought. Lots of sunshine on the outside metal tables, the smells of pastries and fresh coffee filling the air. Laughter from fellow patrons, the employee's smiling as they hand you your order. Seeing people around you falling in love and holding hands across one another. 

It was a nicer thought than sitting at a table of a 5-star restaurant as you fidget with your knife waiting for the arrival of a date. The entire time alone, you feel further and further out of place with where you are. It's bad enough being a tiny insect in a world full of humans, but it's even worse when you're out of place x2.

But, it has to be a better try than to be with someone who doesn't love you. Vanessa seemed to be more distant as the days would go by, the honeymoon phase really could only last for so long. Sure, they saved the planet together and made the world better at that. They grew and learned together. But sometimes feelings you thought would stay forever begin to fade. The candle can only burn for so long until the wick can no longer emit that flame.

At first, it was just distance, something they believed to be fixable. Nothing communication couldn't help out. But, the further communication, the worse it got. The more the two learned about each other they didn't previously know before, the more they realized they were wrong for each other. From small arguments over what to eat for dinner to worse ones about gay rights. 

Her ex-boyfriend had left after the frustration of being with her. They were constantly clashing with each other and never could agree on anything. It was unhappy on both ends and was best for them to end it. The one person there for him during the breakup was his best friend. That caused him to realize he had feelings for his friend. They begun dating and even actually had gotten married. Recently, at that! Barry couldn't think of ever hating someone for their sexuality, not even Vanessa's ex-boyfriend. So of course, he wanted to go, to at least show good faith for the guy since no hard feelings were kept. He was happy that he was happy. But however, there was one issue.

Vanessa didn't.

Vanessa thought it was disgusting he could so easily 'switch' over to liking boys. It wasn't even the fact it was her ex's wedding, it was because he was marrying a guy. It ended up with the two in a long argument on how he was valid for liking guys, and the other end of the party saying how dirty it was. In the end, Barry went, but he had to go alone without Vanessa.

As he sat into one of the fold-out chairs at the front right before the wedding was about to begin. Ken easily noticed how he was alone and had no one with him. He spoke to Barry asking about Vanessa, he didn't want to lie to him, especially not on his wedding day. So he was open and honest, he told him every little detail before Ken finally said to him, "that's not a healthy relationship. Is that someone you want to be with for your entire life?"

That's when he realized. It wasn't who he wanted to be with for his entire life. Every part of their personalities were polar opposites. That's when he knew what he had to do after this wedding, he knew he'd have to leave Vanessa. Even if it'd be the hardest thing he's done in his life, and he's done a lot. There wasn't a better option than this.

So, that's just exactly what he did. He left Vanessa. The two had an emotional breakup, it was hurtful on both ends but it still was for the best they both believed. But now, even spite that, he was alone in this higher-class snobby place feeling lost without Vanessa being there with him.

He was focused in on his rushing thoughts so much that he didn't snap out of them until he seen his date finally arrived. A lovely young woman, almost resembling Vanessa in his mind. That's why Barry had thought to try out the first date with her. She seemed really nice and caring, so what could it really hurt, right? It's not like a lot of people would really be eager to date a bee, anyways. So it was a nice surprise she even agreed on a night out with him.

The woman had sat down, the two conversed and made small talk and chattered. From the subjects of flowers to how their days had been going. She seemed to truly be interested in the topics Barry would bring up and speak of. She was passionate about equality among everybody, even insects to humans. A strange passion, but it meant a lot nonetheless. They ordered the meals of each other's choosing and ate, still giving off small talk here and there. A few dumb bee jokes, too. It seemed like time flew by once it came to the end of the night. They finished their talking and paid for the bill. 

The woman left with a smile and asked him to get back in touch with her because she had a really nice time.

She was a lovely gal. Barry enjoyed her company but it felt something really was missing. He agreed to stay in touch. He imagined she'd be a really good and positive force around him. But inside of him, he knew it wasn't right. It wasn't going past a friendship. He didn't want to be involved romantically with her. Was this technically leading her on? He didn't mean to make it seem like that. It felt wrong. But really, it felt like a lot of things weren't right. And if anything?

He really missed Vanessa more than he'd like to admit it.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Nov 18, 2018 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Bee to the Bone | Barrywiseजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें