Chapter 11 - New attire and a request (completed)

Start from the beginning

Francis was referring to the her shop and the machinical marvels that ran on steam, it was a large shop indeed with selves filled with rolls of their assorted fabric, the shelves were high touching the ceiling but mechanical arms would move up to grab a roll of fabric and place them on a large spindle like device that would automatically cut a set measurement of length set by the staff members, the cabinets were filled with assorted lengths and the large counter in the middle that squared round with two staff members on brass tills stood cutting again different lengths and taking in the right amount of coin “they are not gauping they are in amazement”

Francis sighed “if you say so, so i have placed the mannequin at the back of the shop with our latest stockings and skirt”

Cassidy gave Francis a blank look as if dumbstruck and confused “at the Back? No, that will not do we need it at the front of the shop so people can see it, now chop chop”

With a silent sigh he turned around to fetch the device, he had been working at different shops for years and this one in the last ten, he had worked with both Cassidy’s aunt and uncle and tried on numerous occasions to become manager statues, but was shot down only to play second fiddle to a young brat that acts like she know better then everbody, often at times she would forget that if he didn’t have conncetions then they would be in ruin even if her ideas did get off the ground, but he had to face facts, it’s her store and she is the boss, it’s not too bad, he gets paid a fair amount of coin and stills has input on the company, he sighed as he waved over two staff members getting them to wheel the copper contraption to the centre of the front of the store, they then moved a long tub that stretched from the mannequin to the centre counter, with a click and hissed the machine was filled with steam, with a smile she said “perfect now lets see if it works”

Cassidy walked over to the device and pressed a small lever down and with a hiss it started to play a tune but nothing more, it brought a bit of attention from the patrons who were trying to find the noise of the sweet, romantic yet familiar sound, some gasped in amazement as others talked amongst themselves talking about the stockings and skirt they want to buy, but Cassidy seemed disappointed as she sighed and scratched her head “it was supposed to move, sigh another mechanist ill need to hire to fix this thing”

After a while the crowed soon dispersed and carried on their business around the shop, the bell rang again as Cassidy turned around to greet her next set of customer “welcome to...”

She paused as she looked at her customer more closely with a big smile and a polite bow “ah it is my favourite customer how nice to see you what can i do for you today”

Kendor stood tall with a smile on his face as he gestured to Alinson “nothing for me today Cassidy my dear but my friend could do with...”

Cassidy interrupted him excitedly “don’t worry, i see what the problem is”

She walked around and in-between Kendor and Alinson looking her up and down shaking her head she walked around Alinson round once then twice again, from time to time she held up Alinson arms and nodded and shook her head at the same time, it made Alinson uncomfortable but was reassured when she looked at Kendor who gave her a smile to put her at ease, she was told on the way down to the emporium that the owner was eccentric but it still didn’t help calm her nerves, Cassidy stood back with a finger on her chin thinking as she came up with a idea she was launched forward as a sharp mechanical whirl and hiss of steam kicked her up the backside to the point where she turned around only to face the lone mannequin with its leg slowly lowering back into place, her expression was of furry and embarrassment, Francis saw the event take place and was trying hard not to laugh as he turned away snickering, Cassidy composed herself and took a step forward to be out of leg range, with a smile as she said “yes well, what we need to do is get rid of this awful outdated outfit and get you something more modern and fancy”