Chapter 13: Family Matters

Start from the beginning

Hope came out of the room with a teddy bear half her size. "Look, Mommy!" she cried, hugging the bear to herself. "I'm going to call him Uncle Kol!" she told Hayley.

Josh laughed. "That's cute. You know, Hope really likes Davina's boyfriend. She keeps calling him her uncle. So weird." He shook his head, giving Hope a fond look before turning to Hayley. "I will see you both tomorrow. Have a good night!" Hayley couldn't argue with Josh as he ushered her and Hope out of the apartment.

"Looks like it's just you and me, kid," Hayley said, picking up her child and the bear with her.

Once she entered her apartment, Hayley set Hope down and then pulled out her cell. Rebekah picked up on the third ring. "Hey, I'm sorry but I have to stay at home. My babysitter's got a thing."

"Nonsense. I love children. You must bring your little darling with you," Rebekah replied and Hayley thought that Rebekah sounded tipsy.

"Uh," Hayley looked down at Hope. "I'm not sure that's a good idea."

"Just a moment, darling," Rebekah said and Hayley had no idea if she was speaking to her or to someone else. "Caroline, Hayley has her daughter, shall I tell her to bring the child?"

"Tell her it's fine!" Caroline shouted.

Hayley wanted to hit something. "Caroline said it's fine. Bring the child. The more the merrier," Rebekah said before hanging up.

Hayley sighed. "Honey, we're going to a party which means you have to be on your best behavior. Okay?"

Hope nodded and grinned. "Party! Party!" she cried, dancing with her bear.

She wished she felt the same way as her child did. Walking into her room, she found a dress that might be okay except it was from two years ago. It would have to do though because she didn't have anything else to wear. Hayley got ready in a rush. Quick shower. Pull on the dress and a pair of heels. Light makeup. And then Hope. She put her daughter in a dress that she had worn to school for a pageant because they simply did not have the money for fancy clothes.

"Party!" Hope sang on their way into the hall. Hayley locked the door and walked down the stairs. She walked a block before stopping in front of a bus stop. There were no bus stops near the Mikaelons' so she would have to hitch a ride home from Jack, using the company truck, not wanting to walk around that late with Hope.

Hope bounced on her hip when they got off the bus and walked the rest of the way, through the quarter and toward the imposing house that housed the rest of the Mikaelson family. It made her miss Elijah's place. That felt more like a home that this...compound.

"You made it!" Caroline cried. She stood near the entrance. "I've been keeping a look-out for you." She took Hayley's hand and led her further into the courtyard. "There's Rebekah and Marcel. Klaus is talking to his older brother, Elijah. He's single. Bekah already said she's going to get you two together but I thought I'd just put that out there. Over there is Finn. He's the oldest male in the family and his wife, Sage. She's the pretty redhead. Freya's talking to the guy who works for you. Kol and his girlfriend, Davina, are over there in the corner making out as usual. And there's Klaus' mom and dad, Mikael and Esther. Don't worry, they don't bite. Most of the time." Caroline let out a nervous giggle. "And this must be your daughter. Hi, I'm Caroline."

"Hi!" Hope said, grinning up at her. "Uncle Elijah!" she cried excitedly as Elijah caught sight of her at the same time. "Over here!"

"You two know each other?" Caroline looked confused, looking from Hayley to Elijah.

"Yes, we met briefly when I came to the catering company," Elijah said, smiling down at Hope. "Hello, Hope!"

"Hi!" Hope cried, throwing herself at him in her excitement. Hayley wondered if Josh had given her sugar.