Chapter 7: The Time To Realize The Truth

When the guard came and got us the next day, I was so confused.

"Wait our trial's over?" I asked the guard.

"Yes. You're free to go. Next time, don't get caught on government grounds or its life here."

"Yeah, I'm staying off the government grounds," I said to the guard, "Not!" I muttered under my breath.

"That'd be a good idea." As Gage and I walked outside I took a deep breath. Inhaling the sweet fresh air I haven't had in my lungs for a long time. It felt so relieving to have it in there once again. Gage lifted me into his arms and spun me around in the air. I laughed and held on tight. I gripped his neck so tight he had to loosen my grip when he put me down.

"We're free!" He screamed.

"Yay!" I leaned into him pressing my face against his chest and I felt his arms wrap around me. I sighed. He picked me up bride-style and ran towards the woods when the guard called us back.

"You have to take our wagon back to your town."

"Oh, of course!" I said. Gage and I hopped into the back of the wagon holding hands. I laughed giddily when I felt the wagon lurch forward. I laid into Gage and let my eyes close, but I wasn't asleep. He pressed his lips against my temple. I smiled at his touch. 

"I can't wait to see my sister and mom," I said quietly.

"Yeah, I can't wait to have a good meal."

I laughed at this, "Yeah, me too. That 'food' they gave us in the hell-hole wasn't particularly appetizing."

"No, not at all." We both laughed. We both fell asleep in the wagon. I actually slept good, knowing I would see my sister and mom again. And knowing that Gage was here to protect me. But I did have a particularly bad dream. About John.

 I saw him and his family. They were at his house walking around. Jaime was limping. John's mom was on the couch barely breathing. John was curled up in a ball on the other side of his house with his hands over his ears muttering, "Why'd she leave? Why'd she leave? Why'd she leave?" I sat up. John. I forgot about my best friend. How could I be so inconsiderate? How could I be so selfish? I knew I was bad news. I'm terrible. I pushed Gage's arms off of me and walked to the other end of the wagon, pulled my knees close to me and closed my eyes.

"Avalon?" I heard Gage's voice calling me from the other side of the room. I wanted so bad to crawl into his open arms. I wanted so bad for him to caress my hair until I fell asleep. But I didn't deserve it. None of it, "Avalon? What are you doing over there?"

"I don't deserve your kisses, your hugs, your love. I don't deserve you." I said. I didn't shift my position.

"Why would you think that?" I could hear him coming towards me. He picked me up and pulled me close to him. I let it slide for a couple seconds then shrugged his arms off.

"I forgot about John! I left him there without telling him where I was going. I just left him there!" Tears blurred my vision.

"He'll forgive you! I'm sure he'll understand. You're his best friend."

"That's why! I left him and he's my best friend." I was trying not to let the tears fall as Gage pulled me into his arms. I stood there crying into his arms. I didn't pull back. No matter how much I didn't deserve this. I couldn't just refuse. We stood there in each other's arms until we got to the neighborhood. I didn't even notice the door open until Gage picked me up and carried me out. I acted like I fell asleep. I didn't want him to put me down. I needed his comfort. It's the only thing getting me through this. But when I heard my sister's sweet voice it was too much. I jumped out of Gage's arms and ran to Rose.