Chapter 1 - Robin

Sweat was beading on my forehead, my sword in the belt around my waist and my bow strung over my shoulder with my quiver.  I found a tree with low branches and ran up to it, giving a powerful leap and grabbing a limb.  I hauled myself up with a grunt and threw my leg over, taking a breath before climbing higher.  He wouldn’t catch me, I wouldn’t let him.

I’m going to win this.

I made it up high enough so anyone looking up couldn’t really see me and leaned against the trunk, steadying my breathing so I couldn’t be heard.  I listened to the birdsong and the leaves rustling in the breeze, letting the peace take me.

That’s when I heard footsteps.

My eyes snapped open and I looked down, not daring to move in fear that he’d hear or see me.  He stopped directly under me, putting his hands on his knees and taking deep breaths.  I don’t blame him; I had run pretty far before hiding.  I slithered down the tree, sticking to the trunk and thickest branches.  I moved with the breeze so he’d think every noise was from it, and when he looked around I paused, about double my height in the air.  I let my fingers slide over the rough bark and positioned my feet to jump.

I leaped off the branch, crashing into him before he could even think.  He landed on his side, but the way I jumped made me land on my feet.  I drew my sword from the scabbard and pointed it at his throat, practically daring him to try something.  I leaned forward, not taking my eyes off him, and grabbed his sword, throwing it off to my left.

“Give up?”

He smiled, raising his hands in surrender. “Man, Robin, you’ve gotten really good at traveling through the trees.”

I laughed, sheathing my sword and offering William a hand.  He took it and I pulled him up, pointing to his sword which lay a few feet away. “You should probably get that,” I said with a smile, and he went and grabbed it.  I ran a hand over my forehead to get the sweat off as he came back, sliding the weapon back into his scabbard.  He ran a hand through his sticky blond hair, as tired as me.

Ever since he had decided to stay with me for a while we had been doing things like this, we’d hunt each other and see who’d win.  We didn’t keep track or anything, it’s just for fun.  I mostly resorted to using the trees, loving the height and how the beautiful thing would stand strong but wave in a slight breeze.  Both strong and weak.  A tree is one interesting creature.

We had already done it twice today—not including this one—and it was barely noon.  We did this pretty much every day, play Hunt until we got tired and then slept under the stars.  He had stayed with me for about two weeks, but I wasn’t really keeping track of the days.

“Wanna play again?” I asked.

He laughed. “You just love jumping on me from the trees, don’t you?”

I faked thought over that, then smiled when I couldn’t hold it back any longer. “Yes,” I said with a nod.

He gave me a goofy smile before pulling out his sword, the metal glinting in the sunlight coming through the leaves above. “How about we do something more to my skill?”

I grabbed my own and listened happily as the blade scraped against the scabbard. “I’m fine with that.”

He drew his arm back and came at me with the weapon, but I blocked it with a swing of my own.  The metal clashed and we ducked away from each others blows, and before long the sun was climbing down the sky.  When he finally pinned me to a tree and I couldn’t escape I gave in, both of us collapsing in the shade and breathing hard.  It was fun, having him here.  I feel selfish for not wanting him to ever go, and I know that he’ll have to go back to his family sometime, but I can’t help but enjoy these moments.