1. 小山明美 (Akemi Oyama)

Start from the beginning

Even now, her feelings for him lingered. She hoped against hope that this niggling suspicion that she had about Light being Kira was wrong.

Why did she suspect Light, you wonder? Well, he was a student with absolutely no blemishes on his record. The only felony he ever committed was leading girls on. That was all. Someone who was such an ideal student would definitely not come to mind when someone thought of a serial killer. 

He was also very smart. Intelligence can be easily used as a weapon. It could explain why so far, Light managed to keep his identity hidden. (Y/n) knew she had little to go on. So far, there was no evidence to support her assumption about Kira's true identity.

(Y/n) sighed anxiously, beginning to play with a lock of her (h/c) hair. She had to gather more evidence if she wanted make a valid claim but she found herself growing hesitant to even talk to Light. She had these feelings for him locked away in her heart. She didn't want to confirm her thoughts. What happened if she was right? She'd have to alert the task force but how could she? She liked Light. . . A lot. . .  Also, if he was actually Kira, that meant he was the man that killed her father. . .

She let out a frustrated grunt and buried her face into her hands. I can't let my personal feelings interfere! She needed to clear her suspicions of Light. Kira was a mass-murderer and he needed to be caught. This was only a small suspicion. She had a 99% chance of being wrong! She squeezed her eyes shut.

How could she figure out whether Light was actually Kira?

After a lot of thought, (Y/n) decided that she wasn't going to confront Light just yet. She needed to plan this out more thoroughly. . . And ensure that her feelings didn't get involved at all! She hurriedly packed her satchel. 

She didn't want to encounter Light right now. She ran out of the classroom before the other students in her own classroom, and was engulfed by the crowd of students from other lessons, leaving for the day. 

Suddenly, she felt a hand clasp her wrist and pull her away from the crowd. Shit! Who the hell grabbed my hand?!  She was pushed against a wall. A hand was right above her head. She worriedly gazed into curious, light-brown eyes.

"Hello, Akemi." Light spoke softly. (Y/n)'s eyes widened. Light Yagami. . . A light sprinkle of red managed to find its way onto the bridge of her nose. She turned her eyes away from him, trying to compose herself. She was in the presence of Light. . . She felt a conflict of emotions flickering in her heart. Fear. Happiness. Worry.

"L-Light! What the hell was that for? You could've been more gentle. You scared the shit out of me!" (Y/n) hissed with a scowl on her lips. Light stared deeply into her (e/c) orbs. (Y/n) stared right back at him. She could read people easily. Light was definitely holding something back. He was trying to appear relaxed and confident but all she could see was anxiety and suspicion coming off of him.

"I saw you looking at me across the classroom. Was there a particular reason you were looking at me like that?" Light asked. (Y/n) turned her attention to the floor. So, he was worried about her staring at him for so long in the classroom, huh?

"Akemi, look at me in the eyes when you're addressing me!" Light growled, grasping her chin. He forcefully pushed her chin up, ensuring that her eyes were trained right on him. She didn't expect him to be so demanding and rough. He had an eyebrow raised as he waited for an answer. What could she say to him? She still didn't understand how Kira killed. For all she knew, he might find a way to discover her real name. . .

Light did know her original name when he was younger, but the years seemed to chip away at his memory because now he called her Akemi all the time, and never once questioned her about whether her name had changed. 

She began to debate internally whether or not she should attempt questioning him about Kira.

"I. . . Like you, Light. I always find myself taking glances at you. I couldn't help myself, alright?" Would he remember her actual name? If he was really Kira, was he willing to kill her with his bare hands if he couldn't put a finger on her true name?

"Oh. . . Sorry. I just found you staring at me like that really uncomfortable. . . I shouldn't have treated you like that. How about I make it up to you? I can buy you a coffee and lunch." Light murmured. Light was much more at ease once he heard her answer. She could feel his relief. (Y/n) shook her head.

"I don't want to speak to you ever again! Just leave me alone now. . ." (Y/n) whispered. She was horrified by Light's behaviour. She thought he was gentleman! She didn't know that Light could be so rough and rude with her. Light pulled away. (Y/n) walked off and as she made her way, she heard Light apologising once again. 

Another chance confronting Light like this might not come around. . . She was in an open space, and could escape if he got too hostile. Should she try calling him out? Could he actually be Kira? I know this a risky and stupid card to play but I'm going to have a go and see his reaction. There's no harm in trying, right? I shouldn't be scared of death. At least, if he does end up finding out my name is false and finds a way to kill me, I'll be with dad up in heaven. It might hurt Matsuda if I died, but he'd eventually get over it. At least they'd finally have Kira. . .

(Y/n) came to a stop. She gripped her bag straps tightly as she slowly turned herself around. She smirked.

"I know who you truly are, Kira! I won't play into your hands. I just know it's you, you little shit. You're so evil and you're not doing anybody justice. Good luck. I'm gonna tell the police force you're Kira and what I've seen you do before you can kill me!" She laughed. The last part of her words was a white lie, but she wanted to see whether Light would take the bait.

To her dismay, she saw his expression morph. Originally, he was trying to keep up the façade of kindness, but now he showed a true look of malice. His eyes glittered with anger. (Y/n) made a run for it, knowing that if she stayed any longer, he might try to harm her. She was a fit person and a fast runner. She was on the school's track team. Her speedy legs carried her away before Light could even think of chasing her.

"AKEMI!" Light yelled furiously.

Light's POV

Ooh! It seems like she found you out Light and she's already made her escape! Ryuk cackled. What ya gonna do now? Ryuk taunted, staring down at Light. Light pulled out his folded piece of notebook paper from his wallet and grinned maliciously.

"Well she's a very stupid woman! All women are stupid. Did she not realise I need a name and a face to kill?! She was so foolish to point out her suspicions to me. If she'd stayed quiet maybe she would've defeated me." Light muttered. 

He wrote out a gruesome death for Akemi. That girl. . . I seriously thought she was smarter than that! I wanted her to be the queen of my new world. . . Light smiled contently and pushed the paper back into his wallet.

Hyuk. Hyuk. Hyuk. Ryuk chuckled. Light looked up curiously.

"Hmm. . . What's so funny, Ryuk?" Ryuk ignored Light's question.

Buy me some apples, will ya? Ryuk asked Light.

"Sure." Light hummed, brushing off Ryuk's sudden chuckle. He was going to hear about a death on the news tomorrow. Despite the feeling of triumph, he also felt. . . Sadness and disappointment. He'd had feelings for Akemi for such a long time. Why did she have to go and betray him?

✶ 

✶ Published on 30/10/2017 and Edited on 02/03/2021