Chapter 1

This is the first story I've published with wattpad. Please leave feedback soI know what mistakes I've made. Only positive criticism please.

*Edited by islandgurl671*

Chapter 1

Racing through the empty streets of New York, the strong, erratic beating of my heart and the thump of my feet hitting the pavement were the only sounds being made. The air around me began to turn to a dark, misty fog. I couldn’t see the cement under my feet, much less the direction I was headed. But this is how he worked. Overcrowding his victim until the felt helpless and gave up. I refused to be the victim.

As tired as I was, I willed myself to move faster, but the faster I ran, the stronger it came at me. I was disoriented but I couldn’t surrender. In the back of my mind I realized that I was running out of energy, having covered at least three miles. My lungs were burning and my heart was pounding so hard I could hear it.

Almost unconsciously, my legs slowed to a jogging pace. A shove from behind me forced me to my knees. I held back a groan of displeasure as my bare knee collided with the ground. A tall, dark figure materialized behind me. I scrambled to get back but escape was futile at this point. I felt the warmth of his breath tickling my neck, smelling of something rusty and salty.

Blood!

The knowledge that I wasn’t his first victim of the night sent an icy chill down my spine. Turning slowly to see the face of my killer, I froze. The face in front of me wasn’t a stranger. It was one I knew well, very well.

Aiden!

************

6 Months Ago

The first thing I noticed about him was his tattoo. It was completely original, yet vaguely familiar, not that I’d ever seen it before. It wasn’t anything so complex that it made you wonder how much pain it took to get it. This tattoo was actually quite the opposite. All it was was arrows in the formation of an eight-point star with a broken circle around its perimeter. But then again, it wasn’t just the tattoo either. There was something off about the owner of said tattoo. I noticed it after only seconds in his presence. What I couldn’t figure out was if this was good or bad. The tattoo rested on his arm. His perfectly sun-tanned, muscular arm. My gaze traveled down the length of his body, taking in his black T-shirt and baggy jeans. Not too baggy as in the look - at - me - sag - my - pants - I’m - so - gangster kind of way of course. He had long legs that supported a 6’3’’ frame. My 5’4’’ body was dwarfed by him. His hair was a silky raven black with natural red streaks - or so I hope because I hate guys who die their hair; it’s a total turn-off. His high cheek-bones, strong, pointed nose, and bronze colored skin hinted at an Italian heritage. This entire inventory took less than a minute. Finally looking into his eyes, I couldn’t hold back a gasp of surprise.

The angel blue and gray swirled around in war, one color trying unsuccessfully to dominate the other. One look in those eyes and I was lost. It’s like I had descended off the deep end before realizing I couldn’t swim. That’s how I had felt, like he was blocking me in on all sides, surrounding me, consuming me. It was heaven and hell rolled into one. I felt the call of his body drawing me in but also the urgent need to back away. At this point, I’m not sure which scared me more, the voice telling me to step forward, or me for wanting to do it. So I took a step back instead, too afraid of these new emotions. And to my utter disbelief, he follows by stepping forward. I look up at him, shocked. The look in his eyes said that he’s the predator, and I’ve just become his prey. I took another step back and then another, just to be on the safe side. He takes two steps forward. We play this game of cat and mouse until my back hit the wall on the side of the house, leaving me nowhere else to go. I see the devilish smile forming on his lips, and I know that he knows that he’s got me.