"Jinx?" Ron called once I was on the other side.

"Yeah?"

"Try not to die."

I rolled my eyes. "Thank you, Ron, for your brilliant advice."

I crept past the skin and through the tunnel until I came to wide door/thing. I extinguished my light.

"Here we go, then," I muttered as I walked in. 

I  was standing at the end of a very long, dimly lit chamber. Towering stone pillars entwined with more carved serpents rose to support a ceiling lost in darkness, casting long, black shadows through the odd, greenish gloom that filled the place.

I nervously walked down the chamber, trying not to make any noise, my hand gripped on my wand tightly.

"She won't wake," said a soft voice. I dashed behind a pillar and peeked out at the scene. Ginny was lying on the ground, looking very pale. Harry was beside her and a tall, black-haired boy was leaning against a pillar near mine.

Is he a little blurry or is my reception bad?

"Tom -- Tom Riddle?" Harry asked. THAT'S Tom Riddle?

Damn, he's sexy.

Riddle nodded, not taking his eyes off Harry's face.

"What d'you mean, she won't wake?" Harry said desperately. I realize now that Ginny's unconcious. "She's not -- she's not -- ?"

"She's still alive," said Riddle. "But only just."

Harry stared at him.

Wait a minute.

Tom Riddle had been at Hogwarts fifty years ago, yet here he stood, a weird, misty light shining about him, not a day older than sixteen.

"Are you a ghost?" Harry said uncertainly.

Fuck no, Harry. He ain't no ghost.

"A memory," said Riddle quietly. "Preserved in a diary for fifty years."

He pointed toward the floor near the statue's giant toes. Lying open there was the little black diary we had found in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. For a second, I wondered how it had got there -- but there were more pressing matters to deal with.

"You've got to help me, Tom," Harry said, raising Ginny's head again. "We've got to get her out of here. There's a basilisk... I don't know where it is, but it could be along any moment... Please, help me."

Riddle didn't move. Harry, sweating, managed to hoist Ginny half off the floor, and bent to get something.

"Did you see -- ?" He looked up. Riddle was still watching him -- twirling Harry's wand between his long fingers.

"Thanks," said Harry, stretching out his hand for it. A smile curled the corners of Riddle's mouth. He continued to stare at Harry, twirling the wand idly.

"Listen," said Harry urgently, his knees sagging with Ginny's dead weight. "We've got to go! If the basilisk comes -- "

"It won't come until it is called," said Riddle calmly. Harry lowered Ginny back onto the floor, unable to hold her up any longer.

"What d'you mean?" he said. "Look, give me my wand, I might need it -- "

Riddle's smile broadened.

Shit, he's a bad guy, ain't he?

"You won't be needing it," he said.

Harry stared at him. "What d'you mean, I won't be -- ?"

"I've waited a long time for this, Harry Potter," said Riddle. "For the chance to see you. To speak to you."