Chapter 3 - We Are Gathered Here Today

Lindsay was annoyingly calm and chirpy as she prepared to walk down the aisle on her father's arm. Everyone was in position now. Mr Walters and Lindsay, followed by two little bridesmaids, Lindsay's younger sisters Paula and Lauren and then Steph.

As they all walked down the aisle to 'here comes the bride' Steph smiled at the sight of Charlie turning to look at his bride like a man totally in love. She felt sad as she thought that she could have been the bride if things had been different with her and Simon, although she was also relieved not to be walking up the aisle towards Simon.

Steph came to a standstill behind Lindsay and took her bouquet from her before stepping to the side. She looked across at the bride and groom and realised that the best man was staring at her looking every inch the demure lady in a full length, chocolate brown, strapless, satin dress, corseted tightly to the waist and from the cream sash around the waist it flared gently and femininely to the floor. Her hair was curled and piled on top of her head with cream flowers and crystal pins fixed through it. She had added nude stilettos, a crystal choker and matching, dangly earrings.

She flushed slightly as she realised Jon was smiling at her now and despite her determination not to, she returned his smile.

As the service was completed Steph walked behind Lindsay to sign the register and could feel the charge between herself and Jon as he walked next to her.

"You look beautiful," he whispered.

"Not too slutty or trampy?" she asked, unable to resist one dig.

He frowned at her and then smiled, "Sorry, I shouldn't have said that, I didn't know you, but you do appear to be rather fool hardy with your own safety."

She nodded because she could offer no counterargument to that, there wasn't one after waking up in Jon's bed, clueless as to what had happened or even how she'd got there.

When they were posing for photos and signing the register with their friends Steph could feel a shift between them again. Things were a little easier and as she relaxed in Jon's company he seemed to become more human, so much so that by the time they were walking back down the aisle behind their friends he offered her his arm, which she accepted making her ridiculously happy to be on his arm.

Steph had to keep reminding herself that she needed to stay strong and remain sober and un-slutty, that she must not give into her desire for this man, no matter how much she wanted to because apart from the fact that he was too much for her in every way he was married.

There were more photos outside and as the bridesmaids and male attendants were called together the photographer stood Steph next to Jon and put the others to their sides and in front of them. The photographer snapped away then stood Steph and Jon together and as he called for the customary 'cheese' pose from the two of them Steph felt Jon's hand on her bum, he didn't pinch or squeeze it, nor did he cup it, but simply rested his hand on it.

With his hand still on her the flesh that was overflowing his hand he asked, "Clean slate?"

Steph looked up at him suspiciously and as much as she knew she should tell him to let her go she didn't, she just said, "We'll see."

"Please, matron of honour and best man, pull yourselves together! It's not time for twenty questions, just look forward and smile! It's quite simple!" the photographer barked at them impatiently.

Exchanging a look that saw Steph's brow crease into a frown she told Jon, "I have six junior accountants in the team I manage, I have an assistant, I'm responsible for all of their admin staff as well as overseeing new accounts to my company and I have just been publicly chastised for simply talking to you!" she said wryly as the call of 'cheese' was repeated. With a broad grin Jon placed an arm around Steph's waist before they both picked up their cue and smiled.

Sex, Lies, Secrets & Wives (5 chapter sample read only)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें