『 nine: RATS AND SUPER RATS. 』

Start from the beginning

             June turns to the front to where the customer was waiting and zoned in on the cash register, punching in some numbers, "Nooning! Oh my god, I'm so lame, why not just say good afternoon right? Anyway, your total is eight seventy three is that gonna be with cash or credit ..." June trails off when she looks up, facing who's the one paying.

Leah Clearwater is staring right at her. A girl who June considered her role model; Leah was funny and smart and her ideals weren't fanciful or too ambitious, if that was even a thing. Leah was what she was and she was so many things to June; the fact that she was going to be family even more than June already regarded her was pleasing to a dying girls ears — she had been so happy that Sam had found someone, for him to care for, for someone to care for him, someone who knew not to talk about his dad and help him when he's sad. Leah was all of that. June knew it with every fiber that Sam and Leah were meant for another. But, like a lot of things June thinks she knows, it doesn't seem like fate had the same plans.

                 "Juniper," Leah's voice is curt, and June frowns at the stiffness in her words. "I didn't know you worked today."

But June understands the hostility. Leah must hate her. She must think that June knew about Sam planning to break up with her or something. June doesn't know the exact reasons but she's not as ignorant as Sam might think she is; he was bored, like most men, they leave when they're too afraid of loving something so fiercely and being vulnerable like that.

"It's Friday," June reasons, Leah making her feel two inches small. "I always work Friday's."

"How much was it again?" Leah disregarded her comment and looked down to her wallet and fishing through some bills, trying to not look her in the eye.

       June shut the register, "On the house, don't worry. I know it's your favorite." She smiles softly at the older girl.

Leah looks up, shaking her head and setting down a ten dollar bill on the counter and looks about ready to leave, "It's not necessary, keep the change—"

        "Leah," June's voice was pleading, blue eyes shining in emotion. "I'm sorry ... about everything. I didn't know what was going on, you have to believe me."

Leah's brown eyes narrow, "It doesn't matter."

"It does matter," June insisted. "Please. Just listen when I say I would've told you had I known—"

            Leah laughed, short and icy and full of malice. Her long brown hair shook as she did. "You expect me to believe that, June? That Sam, your cousin, the one person you're the closest to, didn't let you know that he was going to leave me for my own cousin?"

June paled instantly. No. Not Sam. Not her cousin. Because her cousin would never have intentionally left the love of his life for her Leah's own cousin. Sam hated his father for leaving, Joshua Uley had packed up and left his wife and five year old son even if it meant sleeping with another woman before he left, a woman who was close with his wife, a woman who gave him another son who's dubious parentage is that of a scandal on the Reservation.

"Sam, he never-he didn't tell me anything—" June swallowed harshly. "I didn't even know he was seeing someone else, Leah. Let alone your cousin?"

Leah seemed to believe her genuine disbelief because she nodded once, softening. "Emily." She said the name like some silent betrayal, for it was. June shook her head, confused as to who that was. "She's not from here — she's Makah, she came over here with our other cousin, Lyanna. They live on the Rez now."