Chapter 8: Looking Out

"Lys. What exactly do you have in mind," he whispered huskily in my ear. I nudged his side playfully before unlocking the door. "This." I opened the door to a room full of paintings by famous artists.

Kevin's eyes widened as he walked inside. "Are these original paintings by---" he paused a moment to observe, "Van Gogh, Picasso, Salvador Dali, Jacob Lawrence---" He could barely find the words to speak. "I can't believe this right now. How'd you swing this?"

I grinned in amusment. "I know a few folks in high places." Kevin was so enthralled with the art.

"Come here. I want to show you something." I grabbed his hand and led him over to a painting that leaned against the wall. "Okay this one is one of my favorites."

"Yo. Don't tell me this is an original painting by A. A. Lafaye," he said giddily.

I grinned. "It is."

Kevin looked from me to the painting. "I can't believe this right now. He is my favorite contemporary artist." After a few minutes went by Kevin walked silently around the room admiring original paintings and masterpieces. "How good are you at keeping a secret," I interjected. He quickly turned around and grinned. "Amazing. Why," he asked as he slowly made his way back over to the painting by Lafaye.

"Because I have something to tell you. Are you ready?" He nodded his head. "Okay, but you have to promise that you won't say anything. This is between me and you. Got it?"

"Yes. Got it. I promise I won't tell a soul." I smiled at him.

"A.A. Lafaye's full name is Aimé Alexandre Lafayette James."

"What! Are you serious!" He chuckled. "And he's French! How do you know this? Me and my friends have been trying to figure that out for years."

"Well that's a part of the secret." Kevin looked at me with anticipation, his eyes begging me to go on. I exhaled and paused for dramatic effect. "He's my father."

Kevin's mouth hung open. "Wait a minute. I'm dating thee A.A. Lafaye's daughter." He laughed. "This is too much!" He stood still basking in the moment. "Psh. I can't believe this," he mumbled. He squatted down to get an even closer look at the painting.

I watched him for a moment and smiled. His excitement was infectious. I almost didn't want to interrupt him. I cleared my throat. "That's not all I wanted to share with you."

Kevin raised his brow at me and stood up. "There's more?" I smiled and nodded my head, "yes."

"Before we head back out, I brought you back here tonight to tell you that I showed my dad some of your work and he said that he would love to meet you and talk to you about your future as an artist." Kevin was almost brought to tears. "Baby. Please tell me you're not joking."

"I'm not joking."

He happily scooped me up into a hug and spun me around. "This is the best news ever. Thank you so much Lys," he said giving me several pecks on the lips. "You're welcome baby."

Kevin couldn't stop smiling. He pulled me in by my waist and kissed me again, but this time more passionately. I reluctantly pulled away. "Baby," I said in between pecks, "we gon' have to finish this later." Kevin's eyes pleaded with me. "But baby, I got so many ways I want to thank you right now." I couldn't contain my laughter. I grabbed his hand and pulled him away. "Come on mac daddy. Let's go."

We quickly found Janelle and Adrian and rejoined them. "Where'd y'all sneak off too," Janelle whispered to me. "I had to go show him something." Janelle side-eyed me. "Mmhm. Nasty."  "I didn't even mean it like that," I said as I pinched her arm. She chuckled silently beside me.