"Nani? You changed the stairs because I was late??"

"I do not believe I stuttered, Kyoji-san. I do believe, however, that I asked you to get up."

"My body hurts too much to stand."

Takamura turned a stern stare on him. A flurry of movement from her kimono sleeve revealed a dagger, which she threw with no hesitation towards Kyoji's throat. The boy barely whirled out of the way before the blade impaled where his throat had been moments before, Kyoji having been seconds away from death. His bewildered eyes turned on Takamura.

"You tried to kill me!"

Takamura smiled slightly. "And now you're up. Let us go break our fast." She stooped down, retrieving the blade, which disappeared before Kyoji saw where it went. He assumed it went back up her kimono sleeve. She shuffled away, Kyoji staring slack-jawed in her wake. A few seconds later, he hastily got up and limped after her. He didn't want a repeat of what had just happened. And with Takamura, it was clear that that was entirely possible.

The bar was buzzing with clientele, eating breakfast items like steamed rice, natto, a small portion of fish, and miso soup of varying ingredients. Kyoji stared at wonder in the room buzzing with talk, speaking in hushed tones with Takamura.

"What is this, a bed and breakfast too? What don't you own, Takamura?"

She gave a demure smile, responding, "Of course, Kyoji-san. This is an inn, after all." Takamura gestured to an empty table near the back of the room, with the same food items displayed as on other tables. Kyoji winced as he sat down, his body still sore from his tumble, sitting on his legs. While staring at the food, he realized just how hungry he was. A sudden thought struck him.

"I don't have any money. Hatsumomo took my wallet."

"The food's already paid for."

Kyoji raised a quizzical eyebrow. "What? By who? I thought whoever was receiving the service had to pay?"

"Hatsumomo ordered the food for herself and paid for herself. You just happen to be the one eating it."

Kyoji shook his head. What a mysterious woman Takamura was. He didn't know how her mind worked. Grabbing a pair of chopsticks, he bowed before saying, "Itadakimasu. Thank you for the food." He broke the chopsticks apart, and began to eagerly eat his food. Takamura eyed him benevolently, pulling out a hand-held fan from her sleeve. She fanned herself as she questioned Kyoji.

"Kyoji-san, you say your brother, Kenji-san, is out of town for the moment. Might I know why?"

Kyoji looked up, slurping on his miso soup. Was she interested in his past? Or was she simply making polite conversation? He knew better than to deny her what she wanted, though, because that usually meant more unnecessary pain for him.

Pausing a moment while figuring out what to say, he noticed more people were entering the inn. A few people stood out from the group, however. Five men and a single woman entered, blocking the doorway. Silence fell like a blanket around the tavern's inhabitants, an unsettling hush. Takamura seemed to pay them no mind, her back to them as she continued to stare intently at Kyoji, awaiting his answer. He was too fixated on the newcomers to remember Takamura's question.

The single woman of the group seemed to be in front, and Kyoji immediately knew she was the leader of the bunch. She wore business attire, an elegant black jacket and dress pants, as well as a red shirt. Her jacket was unbuttoned. She wore black high heels, and on her face were a pair of dark sunglasses. Her lips were a brilliant shade of red, the work of lipstick. Her hair was unencumbered by a tie or anything of the sort, so it cascaded down her back freely, shiny and black. Her face was pretty, but it was an austere sort of beauty. She didn't seem to be the sort to play games or take no for an answer.