chapter 8

Now what to do with this ring? it's not everyday you realize your whole life has been a lie. This calls for something big. Maybe later this week I'll rent a boat and go out into the ocean and throw the ring and stand there watching it sink until I can't see it anymore. I didn't just lose the man I thought I loved I lost a best friend. I could see the pain in Mike's eyes that day he broke off the engagement. He may have never loved me but we were still once friends. It's so sad that I had to lose such a great friend but he made his choices.  I'm done feeling sorry for myself and I sure as hell wont waste even a second of my time feeling sorry for him. Now Knowing what to do with the ring I slipped it off my finger and put it in the dresser until I could chuck it into the ocean. Now to get back to the here and now. I want to look perfect for Stephen tonight.

       A couple hours later Kennedy walked into the hotel room with some fresh fruit smoothies. She knows how much I love smoothies I don't know why we didn't talk for three years Kennedy is truly the best thing in my life. Now there's just one thing I need to know. I turn to kennedy "so...Brooke's pregnant, that's why Mike left me, cause it's his"  "Summer how did you know?" "I didn't know but I do now thanks"  that's all I needed to know. I could get on with my life. Now to get ready for the party tonight. I'm not sure what I was expecting I don't actually know if Stephen's into me all we did was dance then exchange a few words on the beach. Life's all about taking chances and Stephen was mine. I wasn't looking for forever, I was looking for myself. This was our last summer before the real world started.

       The address on the paper brought us to a house on the beach. There was a huge bonfire going and what looked like close to a hundred people scattered over the property. Was this a party or what? I wasn't that worried about finding Stephen right away. In a crwod this size I could look for him all night if I just hung out made some friends talked to some people eventually I'd see him. Plus I didn't want to look desperate I didn't want him to know I was looking for him. It was getting late and I was standing by the fire talking to some guy when I heard what sounded like a struggle. I looked over to see what was going on and saw Kennedy trying to get this guy to take his hands off her. Kennedy likes to party and have a good time but there's only one man that she had ever allowed to put his hands on her in a sexual manner, well in any manner actually. I went over to try and help my friend when the guy suddenly pulled back his arm like he was going to hit her. Before either Kennedy or I could react a man's hand grabbed his arm. It was too dark to see the face of the man that had helped us then we heard him say "If  you ever raise your hand to a woman again I will personally hunt you down and make you regret the day you were born now get the fuck outta here"  Well that was a voice we both knew all too well and although there had been a time when a day didn't pass that we didn't hear it, It was the voice of the man we'd been trying to avoid all weekend. Kennedy looked like she was gonna cry as she said "Jason"