"You want how much?"

Cantoni's agitated voice filtered through the flimsy door between them. Nancy glanced around and saw what she thought and hoped was her purse strap, caught in a faint strip of light. With any luck, her cell phone was still inside, and she would be able to free herself and call Ned and the police.

For a moment Nancy sent up fervent thanks that she had been lucky enough to be born when cell phones were relatively cheap and convenient. She couldn't even count the number of times she would have been killed without one.

Humphrey wriggled violently a few more times and managed to work the gag down enough to speak. "When I was looking through all the research I saw the name D'Agostini," he whispered. "I remembered that the name had some connection to Vinnie's family, like it was his mother's maiden name or something, and I called to ask him about it. He said we should meet..." Humphrey rolled his eyes. "God. I feel like such an idiot."

"Don't beat yourself up over it," Nancy whispered. "It happens."

"But you kept warning me," Humphrey pointed out, his voice hushed. "I just didn't believe this guy could have done this."

"Did he tell you what was going on?"

Humphrey shook his head. "He asked me what I knew, who I'd talked to. I think he was planning on getting me to call you so you'd meet me and he could get you, just in case, but my phone's dead. Guess I sent a few too many texts yesterday."

Nancy shrugged, looking around the room again for some kind of instrument she could use to saw at their bonds. "Do you know what he's planning?" she asked softly.

Humphrey made a quiet humming sound. "I really think the only reason I'm not dead right now is that he had appointments this morning," he admitted. "He acted so—so different, last night, when I was talking to him. I—I couldn't sleep, I just kept thinking, this is it..."

Nancy gave him a reassuring glance. "Look, I've been in much worse situations before," she told him quietly. "We're going to be okay. It's almost over, I promise. And, Humphrey..." She found him constantly annoying, but she would never have wished a night spent alone, tied up in a warehouse, waiting to die, on him. "I'm really sorry. I didn't think you'd be in any danger, not like this."

Vinnie, apparently unhappy with his previous conversation, was muttering to himself on the other side of the door as he placed another call.

"Yeah. Yeah, we have to move it. Like now. ... I don't fucking care what it costs. I'll be here. Have some loose ends to tie up."

He was referring to them, Nancy knew. While he hadn't been explicit about it during the previous call, she had a bad feeling he had called a professional, to see how much it would cost to have someone else take care of killing them, and of disposing of their bodies in a way that wouldn't be traced back to him.

Ned, Nancy said silently. Please, God, get out of here. Call the cops and get out of here.

They both heard Vinnie's hand on the doorknob, but neither of them had the time to get their gags back into place before he opened the door. Nancy squinted at his silhouette, waiting for her eyes to adjust to the sudden light.

"Won't be long now," he told them. Then he glared at Nancy. "Tell anyone else you were coming here?"

Nancy shook her head, her eyes wide. "No," she promised.

Vincent narrowed his eyes at her. "How'd you find this place?"

"He—he left a note," Nancy said, gesturing at Humphrey with a shrug.