Be Prepared For War

Start from the beginning

I felt Raleigh grab my hand and he pulled me the opposite way from where everyone else was heading, back towards our rooms. I followed quietly, not much being exchanged between us until after he’d changed into normal clothes. And by normal I meant regulated PPDC blue cargo pants with his boots and a white beater-top that left nothing for imagination.

After he was done, we headed back out to the bay area and I started straight for Gipsy, scooping my tool-belt from my locker on the way.

“Wow, you’re just as bad as the Marshal about celebrating.” Raleigh piped up, watching me as I buckled the still extremely loose belt around my hips.

“We just had a double event. Who knows what’s coming out of the Breach next?” I stated, focusing on trying to get the belt to tighten any way I could.

“Then let them do the work. You come relax for a second.” He walked up to me, running his rough hands up and down my arms.

I took a deep breath when his hands clasped around my still fidgeting ones. Taking the belt from me, he set it down on one of the tables nearby and came back to face me, again running his hands on my arms.

“Relax, Lila.” Raleigh soothed, pressing a kiss to my forehead and moving closer to me.

“Raleigh-” He knew my protest was coming, and had the perfect retaliation for it.

A simple kiss, sweet and slow and easily making all other thoughts flow from my ears like a waterfall. His kisses seemed to always have that effect on me though. When he pulled away, a bright grin on his face, he wordlessly pulled me towards the stairs that lead to the upper levels of the Jaeger repairs.

We sat, feet dangling a good 100 feet across from Gipsy, suspended in the air on a hanging workbench, much like the ones I used to use in Sydney. One of his hands was slipped behind my back while the other was interwined in one of my mine, rubbing circles as we leaned against the metal back of the bench and watched the repairs.

“Can I ask you something?” he asked. I leaned my head on his shoulder, nodding silently.

“What was with the Marshal’s nosebleed?” I sighed, snuggling a little closer when I realized how warm he still was, being nearly shirtless. That made his arm around me tighten even more.

“The Mark Ones were made so fast, they didn’t think to shield from radiation. A lot of Mark I pilots got cancer. The Marshal-” I didn’t have to continue because I felt Raleigh’s whole body tense in shock.

“How were Cherno Alpha’s pilots okay, then?” Raleigh questioned.