10 ; swaddled in blood

Start from the beginning

"You know when you close your ears, sometimes the sound of your heart is like a little man walking through snow?" Roman began, voicing his words like a question.

"Yep," Peter prodded, stepping over a large pile of rock.

Roman didn't continue for some reason.

"Hey, what was that big structure that was outside?" Peter asked, turning to glance at Roman over his shoulder.

"It's a Bessemer Converter." Eden replied before Roman could.

"It once made pig iron into money," Roman followed up, giving Eden a slight appraising look for her knowledge. Eden wasn't sure why Roman was so surprised. She knew a number of random facts about a collection of miscellaneous things.

The buzzing in Eden's ears became louder, turning into a hum as she continued walking onwards. It made her jaw tense in annoyance, and she rubbed her ears to try and sooth away the tone. However, it didn't fade and she pressed forwards, trying to keep up with Peter - whom was in front of her, jumping from rock to rock.

"Do we have any idea what we may be looking for?" Eden asked, her booties skidding against the rock.

"Uh...driver's license, social security card, dream journal.." Peter began to list, a slight laugh to his voice.

The three of them came to a stop, where the pipes cleared into two distinct pathways. Roman turned towards them, flashing his light in time with his words. "This is a joke. Left or right?"

"I don't know. Let's split up." Peter said, moving towards the left as Roman went opposite.

Eden went to follow Peter when she caught sight of another path. It was slightly hidden, narrow and would require some skill to get through. However, Eden was up to the task.

Pushing her hair from her face, Eden moved herself closer towards the small passageway. Once she was in the narrow passage, she placed her hands onto the pipe in front of her, shuffling her feet as she moved downwards towards the end.

The humming in her ears began to be accompanied by a burn as she shuffled onward, causing Eden to hiss in pain. Eden slapped her hands to her head, trying to understand what was happening with her hearing so suddenly. As if cued by her thoughts, the burning sensation stopped altogether, going back to humming.

Adjusting herself midway through the tunnel, Eden began her postponed journey down the narrow pipes. She moved quickly, trying not to let claustrophobia get the best of her. The toes of her feet were beginning to get damp as the water rose higher, but she powered through nonetheless.

Finally, a breakage in the passageway made itself present to her. She shuffled quicker, before breaking free. Sucking in a breath she didn't know she was holding, Eden winced when the heat in her ears returned, starting from the tips of her ears and working its way downwards.

Moving through the water, Eden flickered her flashlight against the walls of the pipe-way she had found. Her body was calm, moving at it's own leisure pace as she glanced in every direction, looking for anything out of the ordinary.

Turning down another passageway, Eden staggered backwards. Her head was beginning to ring violently, causing her temples to ache and for her chest to feel heavy. Placing a weak hand onto a nearby pipe, she tried to catch her breath, not sure what was happening to her body.

"Roman! Peter!" Eden shouted weakly, not sure if she would be able to later, given that she felt like she was about to pass-out. Vomit crawled up her throat, and something wet was sliding down her neck as her feet seemed to continue to move forwards on their own accord.