Chapter 6: Knowing What You Deserve

Start from the beginning

Janelle and I laughed. "Why am I not surprised that she knew?"

"Girl! Right! Everybody in the family think she's clairvoyant or something. She be hipped to too much," I laughed. "Lys that seems like just the thing that would happen to you." I grinned at Janelle.

"Girl I gotta feeling you gon' know exactly what I'm talking about real soon."

Janelle chuckled. "Girl don't go Auntie Jo on me. One is enough." We laughed.

"I'm serious though. I want that for you. You deserve it."

Janelle grinned. "Thanks Lys. So what else happened," she asked perking up.

"Well, he dubbed himself my boyfriend this morning."

"Are you serious?"

"Girl yes. He asked what I was doing today, so I told him that I was coming here with you and he gon say 'we could go together, but I ain't trynna be the boyfriend that imposes on you and your friends.'

"Whaaat. No he didn't," Janelle chuckled. I nodded my head. "Yes. Yes he did," I chuckled. I stood up to go back to the board. I could feel Janelle's eyes on me from behind me. "So y'all official?" I grinned to myself as I wrote on the board. "Yeah. I think so." "Who would have thought that two months ago Alyssa would be in love? I am so happy for you." I could hear the sincerity in her voice. I briefly turned around to look at her. "Aw. Thanks J."
...
When Janelle and I got back into her suite later that night, we sat down with our Chick-fil-A and emptied out its contents on the counter. "So have you talked to Vic at all recently?" Janelle ate some of her fries and sighed. "No. Ironically enough he's been "busy" since then, as if he knows what imma say. And I don't want to be rude and break up with him via text, but now he's difficult to reach. What do you think I should do," she asked turning to me.

I nearly choked on my drink. "Excuse me? You're asking me?" "Yeah," she said nonchalantly. "Well for starters it's only been one day that you've tried reaching out to him. Give it a couple days and try again. If he still is not answering your text or calls pull up on the kid and find out what's going on." Janelle sighed. "I thought about doing that, but I really don't feel like hunting him down."

"Call him now. It's Saturday night. He might not be busy." Janelle pulled out her phone and called Vic only for her call to be forwarded to his voicemail. "Okay. I'm convinced that he's ignoring me." I raised my eyebrow. "Girl. Here. Use my phone." I slid my phone over to her and she dialed his number. After a few seconds Vic picked up. "See," she mouthed. "Put him on speaker," I whispered. Janelle chuckled silently and put him on speaker.

"Hello?"

"Hey Vic. It's me, Janelle." Vic didn't respond for a moment. We could hear him whispering to some people in the background. "Yeah Janelle what's up?" "I was calling to let you know that this was fun while it lasted, but I can't do this anymore with you." People could be heard in the background trying to hold back their laughter. Vic quickly took Janelle off speaker and the noise around him was silenced. "Whatchu mean?"

"Vic I'm just tired. You don't do it for me anymore. The fact that you wouldn't even answer my calls just reaffirms how I've been feeling about you. I want to be in a relationship, but not with you. I know that you can't give me what I need. I knew that from the jump which is why I agreed to just sex with you, but now that I'm looking for something more, I'm calling it off."

Vic was dumb founded on the other end of the call. Janelle and I both knew that that was not what he expected to hear which was why he had her on speaker in the first place. He was trying to make a fool out of her, but Janelle and I both knew that she was too smart for that.