Sirius Black

The first task was growing ever closer, though at this point no one knew what that would be except them. Then, one night, Harry joined the club.

***

And with one flash of brilliant green light, the pain just disappeared.

James jolted up in bed, gasping loudly. One of the boys in his room groaned and rolled over, but stayed asleep. James wiped a shaking hand over his face and tried to forget the nightmare that had been haunting him for years.

He lay back down but every time his eyes closed, all he saw was green. Eventually he gave up and decided to go down to the common room. It was the middle of the night. Probably one or two in the morning so no one would be downstairs. Or so he thought.

"-just shown me what's coming in the first task, and it's dragons, Sirius, and I'm a goner," Harry said, head bend close to the fire. James hid quickly by the side of a bookcase and listened intently to his father's conversation with Sirius Black.

"Dragons we can deal with, Harry, but we'll get to that in a minute- I haven't got long here... I've broken into a wizarding house to use the fire, but they could be back at any time." Typical Sirius Black. Oh how James would have loved to have met his namesake. "There are things I have to warn you about." And so James listened to Sirius' warning about Karkaroff, then kicked himself for forgetting there was more than one death eater in Hogwarts at this time.

"... looks like a really good plan from where I'm standing." Harry said, drawing James' attention back to the fire. "They'll just have to stand back and let the dragons do their stuff."

"Right - these dragons," Sirius said, talking very quickly. "There's a way, Harry. Don't be tempted to try a Stunning Spell - dragons are strong and too powerfully magical to be knocked out by a single Stunner, you need about half a dozen wizards at a time to overcome a dragon -"

"Yeah, I know, I just saw," said Harry.

"But you can do it alone," said Sirius. "There is away, and a simple spell's all you need. Just -"

Then Sirius stopped and James heart stopped with him. He never moved, not one inch, he never made any sound at all. Then from behind him he heard footsteps. Coming down the stairs. And they weren't taking their time.

"Go!" Harry hissed  at Sirius. " Go! There's someone coming!" James took that a warning he should be going as well.

Then Ron came down and James sneaked behind him and tip-toed quickly up the stairs. He couldn't stand hearing his dad and uncle fight. What a year to get stuck in, right?

***

The next evening, James decided he'd join Teddy on Dumbledore's floor. It was actually rather comfy.

"How am I supposed to beat a dragon, Teddy?" He asked miserably. "A dragon, of all things!
I mean, it's not like I can do what Cedric did the first time, cause Dad didn't see it and Mum was too busy worrying about Dad to watch anyone else compete. And it's not like I'm actually any good at magic in general! Teddy! I can't beat a dragon!"

"Yes you can James and you will." Teddy replied calmly, which infuriated James.

"Easy for you to say, you don't have to kill a freaking dragon on Tuesday!"

"You don't have to kill it James you just have to get past it. Get the golden egg, remember."

"I thought only magic geese laid golden eggs." Scorpius said, entering the office with Albus and Rose.

"Oh shut it, Malfoy." Snapped James. "I do not need to hear your stupid jokes right now."

Scorpius then mumbled something very colourful under his breath.

"But seriously guys. How am I supposed to do this?"

"Have you asked Hermione?" Albus wondered.

"Of course I have! But she's too busy helping Harry."

Suddenly, Teddy shot up, stood for a couple of seconds, then ran out the door as if the floor was lava. "What's wrong with him?" Rose said. "Looked like he saw a ghost."

"Or maybe a dragon." Scorpius joked (badly) again.

All of a sudden, Lily and Teddy burst into Dumbledore's office, yelling simultaneously. "We have an idea!"

I know, I know, short chapter, but next one will be very long, there's a lot to get in there. Hope you enjoyed. X

Words: 746