"I hate it when I don't feel in control."

"I know."

"Then why do you constantly do that to me?"

"It's good for you."

"What makes you say that?"

"Has anyone really taken care of you before?"

"What?"

"Has anyone ever really taken care of you?"

"This is not the conversation I want to have."

"What would you like to talk about then?"

"What is this thing you mentioned about your family?"

"Right, well, about that. My family is not used to being denied."

"Shocking,"

"Yes, well, and they are most disappointed that there wasn't a formal ceremony. They're even angrier that I didn't make you sign a prenup."

"This is a fake marriage anyway. What difference does that make?"

"In their eyes, this is a real marriage."

"Trent,"

"Yes?"

"Serious question."

"Okay. What is it?"

"Out of everyone who was there, why on earth did you pick me?"

Trent gave me a sideways smirk. "Why wouldn't I pick you?"

"I'm not exactly what you would call gorgeous. I'm not one of those models or Hollywood starlets you're used to dating."

"Maybe I don't want them? Did that thought ever occur to you?" Trent offered with a raised eyebrow.

"Watch the road!" I shrieked. He should not be staring at me like that! "And no, it never occurred to me because that doesn't make sense."

"Mikaela, those twits rarely have a fully formed thought in their heads. Arm candy? Sure, but usually they cared more about my money or my reputation and how it would buoy theirs if their name happens to be attached to mine. You're different. I like it."

I felt cold all of a sudden. I was no different than those flashy, beautiful women. I was worse even, I wasn't that arm candy he'd referred to them as. I had taken his money just as easily as they had, and I'd even recently begun to devise ways that his money benefitted me. I could wrap it up in noble packaging and say it was for the good of the world, a cure for cancer and all that jazz, but at the end of the day, I was no better than those money-grubbing gold diggers. I was ashamed and disgusted with myself. I shook my head at him. "You're wrong." I muttered.

"Wrong? What do you mean?"

"I'm really no different from those hussies. The only way we're different is I'll bet they were spectacular in bed for you and they were the arm candy you wanted."

Trent pulled the car to a halt on the side of the highway. "That's enough."

"What?"

"That's enough. I'm not going to keep listening to you put yourself down. It pisses me off every time you do."

"Trent, you don't have to lie to me. I know what I look like." I huffed. I crossed my arms and stared out the window willing the tears to stop pooling in my eyes. This was so not fair! I even had make-up on which would just make it so much worse.

"Obviously you don't." Trent shot right back. He unbuckled his seatbelt and cupped my chin. "Otherwise you'd know how badly I've wanted to do this," he whispered as his lips claimed mine. I was in too much shock to do anything but stare at him. A moment later I let myself enjoy the sensation of his lips on him. One of his arms snaked around my waist and pulled me closer as the kiss became more demanding. My hands went to his chest and I pushed gently. "Now shut up about being ugly because that can't be farther from the truth. Got it?" Trent panted. "Do you believe me yet?"