2 - LAST FIRST DAY

Start from the beginning

"Brooke," Liz scolded, smiling at Flash Thompson. "Hey, thanks for doing this."

"No problem, Liz," Flash said, jumping up and opening the door for them, Brooke climbing into the back, "I've got practice anyways. Sup, Brooke."

"Hi," Brooke replied, settling on the nice seats of his car. At Liz's look, she rolled her eyes. "How're you?"

"Fine," Flash replied, clearly not wanting to engage in any more conversation with the younger Allan girl.

That was fine by Brooke and she happily put in her earbuds and closed her eyes as they made their way to school. That was more interaction than she was used to and the only reason she even spoke was because she promised her mother she would try and make friends this year.

Try, being the operative word.

Brooke didn't need to check the clock to know they would make it to school with more than enough time. With Liz being Student Council President, she was in charge of setting up the table where all students were to pick up their planners, schedules, and locker combinations. It made for a hectic morning and Brooke was glad she could get set up before the onslaught of people.

Brooke reached out and felt her bag periodically to assure herself that her sketchbook was safe inside and hadn't been forgotten or disappeared. She had gotten a brand new one just before school and had already filled it up halfway. It hadn't had enough pages to begin with, but her father bought it for her when he came back from one of his trips, so she couldn't turn it down. At least she didn't have to use her own money.

At least he actually remembered her while he was gone.

The thought made her sour even more than she already was and she settled even deeper and lower in her seat, glad that Flash had such a nice car.

During the dead air space of her music, Brooke heard Flash ask, "Liz, why don't you have a boyfriend? I mean, there's a whole line of people, you've gotta at least found someone over the summer."

Liz laughed, shaking her head. "I just...I don't want to be bogged down with a relationship. I mean, I have so much to focus on, so much work to do, and it's high school. A relationship would just get in the way, take up too much of my time and energy, and end in heartbreak when we move away."

Flash and Brooke blinked, the former laughing almost uncomfortably. "Uh...wow. That's...nice."

Liz laughed. "Yeah, well, I mean, it's not like I'm saying you shouldn't try or be afraid to try, finding someone you truly care about is nice. I just haven't and I don't actively want to."

At least there was one thing Brooke and her sister could never be compared on. Both being single, no one ever got the chance to say that Brooke was the undateable one. Sure, Liz was the prettier one, but neither were any more dateable than the other because neither went on dates.

Liz went on one date back in sophomore year and she left it to come home early and watch Netflix with Brooke and complain about how dates were overrated.

It was one of the fonder memories Brooke latched onto because she hadn't been compared to Liz once that night. At least, she hadn't when Liz came home early. All comments about Brooke going out with actual friends like her sister died immediately when the older girl returned home, announcing that she didn't like it one bit.