Chapter Six *Edited*

Start from the beginning

                "Anna?"  Emma called into the bathroom.  I sniffled a little. 

                "Yeah?"  Emma came in and checked under the stalls.  When she was satisfied there was nobody in there except for us, she came over and hopped up on the counter beside me on my right side. 

                "What's the matter?  I've never seen Alec so distressed like that.  I heard the last bit of your conversation and I wanted to know.  Alec stormed out of the cafeteria in a rage after you left.  What happened?  I swear you can trust me.  I won't say anything to Alec."  I nodded and inhaled a deep breath as she started to rub my arm in a soothing way.

                "Saturday night we went down to the lake and there, of course, was a huge party.  Well, Alec, being who he is, had a lot to drink and was completely wasted.  I was talking to Mitch, who was apologizing for something he said earlier, and Alec caught us talking.  You know how they really don't get along, right?"  I continued when she nodded.  "He freaked out and I tried to tell him to get in the car, but he-he didn't," I said, my voice cracking.  "It didn't end well for me."  I tucked my hair on my left side behind an ear, and turned towards her.  I couldn't look at her face, I just couldn't.  I could wreck Alec's relationship by doing this, my mind screamed at me.  It's the only thing keeping him sane!"  I felt another tear start to run down my face. 

                "Oh, Anna," Emma breathed out in horror.  She lightly touched the bruise and I flinched.  "I'm sorry," she apologized quickly.  She was still staring at it.

                "The swelling has gone down and the color isn't nearly as bad.  He had his ring on," I said in a small voice.  Emma gently pulled me into a giant hug and I squeezed her torso and she stroked my hair.

                "I know you probably hate him right now, I would too," she said.  "But he didn't mean to.  I know he didn't mean to at all."  I nodded.

                "I know that, but I still can't forgive him now, not yet.  If he comes clean like he promises, it'll be a step in the right direction, but I don't know how he's going to fix this."  Emma nodded.

                "I know, honey, I know."  We sat there until there was a knock on the door.

                "Anna?  Emma?"  Mitch called. 

                "Come in, Mitch.  It's just us," I said.  I pulled myself away from Emma.  Keeping my hand in hers, though, we turned towards Mitch as he came around the corner. 

                "Hey, Anna," he said as he came and sat right next to me on my left side.  He captured my other hand and held it tightly in his.  I could see Emma's eyes widen.  I cut her a silent pleading look, and she nodded slightly, letting me know she understood.  "Are you all right?  Do you need any aspirin?  You look like you're about to be sick.  Do you want me to go get you some food?  I don't mind really."  I cut off his talking by smiling and leaning against him, sure to make sure my face didn't bump his shoulder too hard.

                "I'm fine," I said as I looked up into his eyes.  I could see the smile there.  His dark brown hair was falling into his gorgeous eyes, and as I stared at them, I realized I didn't want him to leave my side. 

                "Well, I want to go make sure Alec hasn't stormed off of campus," Emma said, with a hint of laughter in her voice.  "I'll see you later, Anna," she said and shot me a wink as she walked out.  I rolled my eyes at her, but smiled.