Chapter One

It was that day when I started feeling the ache at the back of my head. It was subtle at first, but slowly grew and it spread all the way to the front of my brain until I had to hold on to my locker door to stay upright. It made me go light headed, until a flash of images rushed through my mind and I was suddenly relieved. I couldn't make sense of the images, they mostly consisted of a young woman who i hadn't seen before. I took the time to think about them but mostly shrugged them off as I couldn't really remember the images, like they were a dream or something. I slammed my locker shut and headed towards the study room.

It was a cold afternoon and I sat in the study room in college as Paige clicked her pen while chewing on her gums in desperation. I continue to scribble down my thoughts for my drama essay that was due the next day. Usually, I sat next to Paige every free period I had and she'd do the same thing; click her pen, chew on her gums, and then throw her pen down on the table in defeat.
"Whatcha do last night then? You're looking tired." She asked, not taking her eyes off the piece of lined paper in front of her.
"Not much, i couldn't really sleep." I mumbled as I finished the last sentence to my essay. I clipped it into my hard back folder and she finally looked up at me and eyes me suspiciously.
"You say that every time." She whined, clearly curious on what really happens in my life. We don't really spend that much time with each other outside of college, well we don't spend anytime at all together. I stifled a laugh and she raised an eyebrow.
"That's because that's what happens every time." I said as I scrambled up all my books and grabbed my bag. She stared at me in curiosity but also in suspicion as I walked out of the study room. I watched as she returns her eyes back to her work. She soon sighed and threw her pen down on the table in defeat.

I started to walk towards my car but I'm bumped hard with someone who was walking with a quick pace. A really hot heat surged through my chest and it slowly tingled to the end of my fingers. The same images from earlier which i had somehow forgotten rushed through my mind but this time I could only feel recognition of the woman in those images. My mind continued to move faster through the images until it suddenly cut off and I gasped. I didn't realise that this whole time, the person who I bumped with was towering over me and he definitely didn't seem welcoming.
"Do you want to watch where you're going next time?" He spat. His brows furrowed as his eyes skimmed over the whole of me. I watched him closely, slowly meeting his green eyes which I wanted to compare to rotten leaves but I couldn't help noticing the gold flakes of sunshine in them. I lowered my head and started to think of how he'd be the kind of person I'd love to take on in the cage; but then I didn't want to ruin his beautiful face. His dark hair casually flopped over his eyes which he then brushed back in a swift motion.
"Sorry I didn't mean to-" I begun but I'm cut off by the sound of a roaring engine behind me. I knew that sound anywhere.
"Tabby, are you coming or not?" A rough voice shouted behind me; Alex. I had known him ever since I moved to Richmond and he mostly kept me company when my Auntie was away. We had been here for a good six months now and she had been home about three times. You can tell that we aren't exactly that close. Alex is the only one at the Black River club who knew that i was the 'Slingblade.' I was the undefeated champion in Richmond and no one is catching on with my secret. My black mask and the hood to my sweater was always good at concealing my identity.
"Can you wait?" I shouted back with attitude. Alex shot his head up and raised his eyebrow at me and I replied with a sweet smile. I returned my eyes back to the boy in front of me who was staring at Alex. I watched him closely and seemed to only get a series of hatred and confusion from his eyes. The boy snapped his eyes back to me and they began to soften before hardening again.
"Are you gonna run to your boyfriend or what?" He began, "don't want to keep him waiting now do you?" I stood there with my mouth agape. What was this guys problem? I moved my bag more securely onto my shoulder and turned on my heels, flicking my hair at him before I walked away. I grab my helmet from Alex's hands and swing my leg over the back of the motorcycle. I placed on my helmet and wrapped my arms around Alex as I watched the boy stare at me in disbelief. Alex starts the engine and the roar echoes through the whole car park of the school and everyone's eyes are on us. He immediately revved the engine and quickly drove us out of the car park. The wind blows my hair backwards and I watched as the boy from before slowly shrinked down to nothing but a spec.