“Are you down the shaft tonight?” I asked, leaning my back against the rail beside him.

“It’s for the best, I think. In a few moons’ time, who knows? We should have more control by then.”

“Can I help you then? Instead of Tamar?”

“It’ll probably rain again, and I’d rather you stayed here…safe.”

“Pleeease? I’ll text Beth and ask her to pick me up afterwards.”

I could tell he was thinking about it. My baby face was working.

“Oh, alright. Just stop looking at me like that,” he said, finally.

I grinned. It was fun getting my own way.

Sebastian glanced at his watch. “Better get going, actually.”

I nodded.

“Mum, are you okay sorting out tea for you and Todd?” I asked, as I grabbed my coat from the old hat stand and an apple from the fruit bowl. “We’re off to the cinema in Carleigh, won’t be late.”

“Oh, okay, love. See you later.”

Twenty minutes later, we arrived at Lovell Towers. As Sebastian had predicted, the rain returned, and we headed inside to grab a quick bite to eat before going upstairs.

Sebastian knocked on his grandmother’s door, and I followed him inside. Nothing had changed since my last visit to the dark and dusty first floor living area. The curtains were permanently drawn shut, and despite the recent turn in the weather, a hearty fire still crackled in the grate.

Sebastian’s sister, Tamar, was kneeling by the hearth, feeding the greedy flames with another shovelful of coal, her fur covered face intent on the task. Grey smoke billowed out into the room and my lungs, bringing on a sudden coughing fit.

Old Mrs Lovell had been asleep in her wooden wheelchair and she wasn’t pleased with our intrusion.

“Hello, Grandmother…Tamar.” Sebastian saluted them, but his grandmother scoffed.

“Couldn’t you at least wait until both eyes are open before you come bursting in like that. It’s enough to give an old woman a heart attack.”

“Sorry, Grandmother. I just came to let Tamar know that she’s relieved of her duties tonight. Sophie’s here.”

Even in the dismal light, I saw Mrs Lovell scowl at me. “Yes. I can see that,” she sneered. “My eyes work just fine when they’re open. So she’s still sniffing around then?”

“Be nice, Grandmother. Sophie’s here to stay.”