Chapter Two: Panic

Once Claire had left TrollMarket, she ran to catch up with Toby.  He hadn't gotten very far, climbing the Crystal Staircase must have been exhausting.  Toby was on his bike, slowly making his way down the road.  Claire was able to keep up with his pace just by walking along the sidewalk beside him.  Toby had barely said anything since they had left TrollMarket, despite Claire's best efforts.

"Are...are you going to be okay?" Claire murmured, glancing over at him.  Toby didn't even look over at her, keeping his eyes forward.  Claire was worried about him, Toby had just lost two of his best friends in the space of 24 hours and he was about to go back to a house that was practically empty because his Nana was mostly immobile.  Claire knew being alone during a time of grief wasn't always the best idea.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" He just about spat.  He still didn't look over at Claire, holding tighter to his handlebars. "I just lost my family again. It shouldn't even bother me anymore at this point, right?" His words were sharp and angry on the surface, but Claire could sense the pain and dread beneath them.

"Toby," She whispered gently. "Jim is going to come back." Toby stopped his bike, finally snapping his head over to look at Claire.  He had tears pouring down his face as he stared at her.

"But what about Arrrgh?!"  He shrieked.  "He's gone for good, Claire!" She stared at him, his sharp words stabbing right into her heart. Toby looked away, chewing on his lip. It wasn't Claire's fault that Arrrgh had died. It wasn't her fault that Jim had run off without them. But...he just hurt. He was in so much pain, he couldn't control the anger and the bitterness he felt.  He shook his head a bit, not saying a word to him as he started to pedal off down the street.  Claire stood frozen for a moment before shaking her head as if snapping out of the trance she had been in.

"I'm sorry, Toby." She whispered as she watched him pedal away.  Claire moved to hug herself, staring down at her toes for a moment before lifting her head and rubbing her eyes.  She took a deep breath and continued on her way to her house.  "He's going to come back." She said to herself.  "Jim is going to come back.  He has to.  He promised he'd save my brother" she rubbed her arms, both trying to comfort herself and try to warm herself up a little.  She kept her head mostly down as she walked, barely looking up when she heard a car pull up beside her on the street.

"Claire?" Asked a familiar voice. Oh no, Dr. Lake.  Claire took a deep breath and hurriedly rubbed her eyes before looking over at the Doctor with a forced smile on her face.

"Oh. Hi, Doctor Lake!" she chirped with a bit of a wave.  She did her best to not let on that her stomach was tying itself in such a painful knot that she thought she might vomit.

"Hi Claire." The Doctor said with a soft smile. "Do you need a ride home? It's getting dark and cold out." Claire thought about all the guilt she would feel if she sat awkwardly in that car, right next to the mother of the friend she had just lost.  She would have so many things she would want to say, but wouldn't be able to.

"No thank you." Claire finally managed to say, voice nearly cracking.  She held tighter to her own arms to try and keep herself grounded.

"Okay, stay safe." Barbara said, a smile still on her face.  It was so genuine, so bright and nice. Claire hated how she may never see that earnest, true smile on that woman ever again.  The Doctor waved goodbye as she rolled up her window before driving off up the street.  Claire watched as the red of the taillights disappeared down the street, the guilt pooled in her stomach not easing.

I'm so sorry, Doctor Lake.

~~~

Toby groaned slightly when he heard the Walkie Talkie on his nightstand chirp to life.  "Uh...Toby?" Draal's hushed voice whispered through the speaker.  Toby rolled over and grabbed it.