Best Friends Forever

Chapter 1:

“Ella, I can’t do this anymore!” Tyler yelled.

“He is just my friend.” I yelled back. “Do you want me to just not have friends?!”

“Yes, that’s exactly what I want! All you ever do is spend time with him and I’m sick of it.” He flung his hands up in frustration. I sighed; this was so typical from Tyler. No one understands the friendship I have with Michael.

“What about my friends that aren’t Michael? Why don’t you hate them?” I asked accusingly.

“They can’t have sex with you, Ella!” He yelled even louder.

“We do not have sex!” Ugh, this is just too weird. I can’t even imagine having sex with Michael. I mean he’s good looking and all but he’s my best friend.

“Then why do you live with him and not me? It’s been a year now and our relationship hasn’t changed.”

“What do you mean it hasn’t changed? Of course it’s changed….” I trailed off.

“Really? You mean for the past year we haven’t been going out to dinner at the café with you barely paying attention to me and then I drive you back to your house WHICH YOU SHARE WITH HIM, so you can sex him up every night.” He roared.

“You know what? I’m done with this. Get out of here.”

“This is my house Ella, you get out.” He snapped. “And while you’re out why don’t you sleep with Michael.”

“Maybe I will!” I shouted before I slammed the door behind me.

Now I’m walking down a dark street at one o clock in the morning, trying to find my way home without the light of the moon to guide me. I didn’t live far from Tyler’s house so it wasn’t too long of walk, but I was still incredibly tired when I got back. My bed seemed too big and the empty space was frightening when I felt so alone. This led me into Michael’s room. I peeled off my clothes and crawled into his bed next to him.

You may be thinking that this is a very odd thing for best friends to do, but Michael and I are different. When I was under the warm covers I pressed my cold legs against him which caused him to be startled awake. He rolled over and pulled me against his chest making me giggle.

“Another bad dream El?” He mumbled drowsily.

“No, I was just cold.” I whispered with an obvious sadness in my voice. This was the first time I’d spoken since the breakup and my voice was betraying me.

“Liar.” He growled playfully. Ugh, he always knows when I’m lying. That stinking lie detector. “Tell me.”

“Tyler broke up with me.” I choked and felt tears well up behind my eyes for the first time tonight. See I’m not a crier, but for some reason it all comes out when Michael demands the truth.

“That bastard, I’ll kill him.” Michael said with venom and real anger in his voice. It always pissed him off when guys didn’t do right by me, even in high school. “Why’d he do it?”

“I-uh-he…I don’t know.” My answer was rushed and obviously a lie. He knew it so he waited for the truth. “He doesn’t like you.”

“Really? Another one? You know El; if a guy can’t even stick around just because you’ve got a male best friend then he’s obviously not the guy for you. Some day you’ll find Mr. Right and he’ll love everything about you, including your best friend.” He said before giving me a quick kiss on the cheek. I giggled and pushed him off of me.