“Who are you?” I asked them in a cooled voice “What are you doing here?”

“Why should we answer you!?” The elder looking one screamed at me

“Because this is my home. You are intruders. And I would like to know what your kind did to my family”

“Your kind? What are you talking about?” she asked, and I stepped toward her, as I was but an inch close to her, she held up her hand and I ceased moving.

I sat down on the floor in front of them and merely watched them, the younger one looked at me with confused eyes but mine showed no indication of the emotion I was feeling inside, a mixture of hatred for them, but also pity.. pity that I had too felt that way not so long ago.

“I was merely enquiring as to why you are both here. And to answer that outrage of yours, you are human. I on the other hand, am a vampire, and if you do not comply to what I say to you, you will die”

“You're crazy!” The younger one screamed and I merely laughed

“No. You are crazy. Crazy for thinking you could just.. kill us all off” I stood up once more and walked toward them. The eldest had a strange look in her eyes, and I didn't trust it, not one bit.

My instincts were right because as I was but a few inches away, she charged upward with a dagger in her hand. Having reflexes that were far superior, I dodged her attack, grabbed the knife and turned it on her, leaving but a few centimetres from her throat,

“Kill me” was all that she said

“Why?”

“I would rather die like this than be killed like all the others”

“Others?”

“Yes, we were told that if a disaster happened like it has, then we were to act out a cowards retreat and practically beg you're scum sucking kind so that we may attack”

“So, knowing what I was, you should have assumed that I was going to turn the blade on you. Which means..” as I turned I saw the younger one strike down. Thanking the reflexes once more I just managed to evade the attack. “You two are not worth sparing” I grabbed the pair of them by the throats, making them drop their weapons “But first, where are the others!?”

“D-Downstairs probably” the elder spluttered “There was loads of noise”

“B-But t-then there was n-nothing” the younger continued, after that I just squeezed harder on their throats until they became lifeless. They were of no more use.

I thought after killing them, I would feel something a little more than hate.. but that was all that consumed me, I didn't care if they had families like I thought I would, but rather.. it pleased me. I walked along the corridors in search of them all, but there was nothing, no sign of my family but rather blood, blood and even more blood. The pictures of ancestors were covered in it, the floors were stained with it and the air stank of it even more. I didn't crave it but rather, it repulsed me at this time. Walking down the stairs I heard more voices, I assumed it came from somewhere downstairs, but it was hard to tell from where exactly due to the house being so large and echoing all the time. The voices were probably no more than whispers, but they seemed so close. A shadow whipped along in the corner of my eye which started me, I ran to where I thought it was heading.. but there was still nothing and no-one. Was I imagining it?

“Boo!” a voice boomed behind me. I jumped and turned and even managed to grab this person and throw them to the floor, when I saw who it was, I froze on the spot.

What lay before me was my mother who was now laughing wildly, I would have gladly punched her if I wasn't so shocked at this time and moment

“Well, I didn't expect that I will say!”

“You bitch..” I mumbled “What the hell s going on here? Where is everyone?”

“Well.. where to begin?” she chuckled. She rolled over onto her knees and clambered up until she was on her feet “That day when you left, for whatever reason that you didn't tell me, we were attacked by these manic and blood thirsty humans. We didn't think they would be much of a match anyway... and we were right, but that's when they took the twins”

“The twins?” I asked her, looking confused “Why would they take the twins?”

There was a silence for a while, she gave me a dirty look and began to stride back and forth along the hall. After a few minuets silence, she began to speak again,

“The twins are a rare breed of Vampire, it's only once every millennia that they are born. They have the standard instinct to drink blood and hunt.. with all the extras.. as well as being able to channel this new energy. Now it's either the elements or the spirits. Very rarely you will see our children with BOTH gifts, and it only ever happens in twins”

“But what happened with me and Tatiana then? The twins did something to me when she was still bound within me.. my TWIN was inside of me and within my soul”

“She's free?”

“Ummm, yeah why?”

“Then they don't know, and that's why they took the twins.. even though the twins are useless whilst they are regenerating”

“Regenerating?”

“Yes, they transferred powers to you. In fact, they gave most of their life's essence to you doing it, which.. explains why.. you look so different” she reaches out and grabs a strand of my hair, letting it slide between her fingers “You look strong, and even more beautiful” she sighs and begins to walk away, before turning once more “You know.. your father would have been so proud of you. Regardless of what has happened and what will happen.. you are the bravest person I know”

“That's it!?” I rage “I just almost killed you, thinking you were one of them. Another thing being.. did you even look for me?”

“Look for you?” she asked, looking bewildered and slightly hurt “We were attacked almost the moment you disappeared, you chained Dante up to the bed and for all you know, he could have been killed instantly.. we didn't know where you were and thought you were dead! I had JUST got you back, and you think I don't care? That I didn't look? Of course I looked! I searched every inch of this castle!” her chest heaved and her eyes bulged, she took a deep breathe to calm herself before continuing “I went to the twins before they were taken to ask them about you.. they usually know.. and they told me that you were safe. They said nothing more on the matter, and refused anything else”

The look on her face showed nothing but pain and torment and if her features weren't like marble, it was have aged her greatly. We continued to stare at each other before she sighed and looked at the floor. My adoptive mother never once showed any signs of compassion to me, and I thought it was going to be the same with Aurora. Her little outburst showed the exact opposite, she cared for me greatly.. but I guess she was just scared of showing it. I walked towards her, and when there was no more than an inch between us, I wrapped my arms around her. She froze for a moment or two before wrapping her arms around me too.

“Oh my Darling” she said “I love you so much”

“I love you too” I croaked, tears welled up in my eyes before cascading down my cheeks. Stepping back from our embrace, I wiped my eyes and toughed my expression “But this is not the time... where are the others? Have they been killed? Are they in hiding? What!?”

“They are safe.. much to our surprise to be honest.. all they seemed interested in was you, the doppelgänger and the twins.. don't ask me why because not even I know”

“Well, we heard from the twins that the whole doppelgänger thing could be solved by using 'The Key'” I paused and waited for her reaction, and as expected, her eyes widened “I know you know that was my father”

“How did? … what?” she questioned

“If I tell you this.. I want to know everything”