10 | DRUNK PROBLEMS

Start from the beginning

I sighed and turned to face Gilbert, "This is me."

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Gilbert asked, walking backwards with his hands in his pockets and flashing his amazing smile.

"Tomorrow," I said, running towards the house with a smile on my face.

Once I arrived in the Barry house, I passed Mrs. Barry as she was heading out the door with her coat and hat on.

"Hello, Samantha." Mrs. Barry said, smiling.

"Hello, Mrs. Barry." I greeted. "Where are you off to?"

"I'm going to go retrieve Diana from the Cuthberts'. She's been there for quite some time, I'm starting to get worried. I was about to fetch you too, but you arrived just in time. Where were you?" She questioned.

"I was—" I started, my mind desperately thinking of an explanation, "with a school friend, we went on a walk."

"Do I know her?" Mrs. Barry asked.

"Um, I don't think so," I said awkwardly. "She's... um... new."

"Oh, well you should invite her over sometime," Mrs. Barry beamed.

Little did she know, this friend was actually a boy.

"Well, I'm off. Do me a favor and watch Minnie May?" She asked.

"I'd be delighted," I said, smiling.

"Thank you dear," said Mrs. Barry, walking out the door. "I'll be back soon."

After she left, I sighed and walked into the kitchen, making myself a cup of tea. I then walked into the living room and sat down on the couch, looking out the large glass window. All the leaves had fallen and winter was approaching. As I continued to watch, I had noticed it started to snow.

I enjoyed the winter—it was my favorite season of them all. It's peaceful and beautiful at the same time.

"Samantha!" said Minnie May, suddenly jumping onto the couch, causing me to nearly spill my tea.

"Goodness, Minnie May, you gave me a fright." I said, giggling.

"Where's Diana?" Minnie May questioned, laying on the couch upside down.

"I believe she is at the Cuthberts'," I said, picking Minnie May up and turning her right side up. "Your mother has gone to fetch her, and she will be back soon."

"How soon?" Minnie May asked.

"I'm not sure—" I began, but I was cut off by the front door opening and cries being wept.

"Please mother!" Diana cried, as she was being pulled into the house. "You can't keep us apart! She's my best friend!"

I put my tea down on the table and jolted up, walking over to the scene.

"What has happened?" I questioned, looking at a disheveled Diana and a furious Mrs. Barry.

"Anne has gotten Diana drunk, and she is forbidden to speak to her ever again," Mrs. Barry said sternly. "And that goes for you too, Samantha. She's dangerous, that orphan."

This comment made me wince, because I am an orphan. But, I let it slide, because I could tell Diana and her mother were in a very bad mental state as of right now.

Diana's eyes were bloodshot, her tears making them even more red. She must've drank a lot, because she was tripping over her own feet.

"Samantha, take her upstairs and get her clean." Mrs. Barry ordered.

"Yes ma'am." I said, taking Diana's left arm over my shoulder and pulling her up the stairs as best as I could.

Once we arrived in her room, I laid her down on her bed and got the bath water running. Diana wept and cried so much I was starting to have a headache.

"How could she do this to us?" Diana shouted, crying hysterically. "I have nobody now!"

I stopped in my place and turned around, looking at her with confusion. She was obviously drunk, and she couldn't control what she was saying. She may not even remember what she is saying right now. Moreover, she won't remember what I say to her.

"What about me?" I asked, walking back into her bedroom which was fortunately connected to her bathroom.

"Samantha, you are my friend." Diana said, sniffling.

"But, you said you don't have anyone anymore. What do you mean?" I asked, puzzled.

"I mean," She slurred, sitting up in her bed. "Anne is my best friend. Without her, I'm nothing. I mean, you're great and all, but you never sit with the girls and I at lunch. You never try on dresses or do your hair with the rest of us. It's like you want to be an outcast."

"You know why?" I asked, walking up to her with my arms crossed. "Because I was being bullied by Ruby and Josie!"

Diana's eyes flickered up at me in shock, "No, you're lying."

"I'm certainly not lying!" I stammered, looking at her with rage. "Josie was so angry that I was spending too much time with Gilbert Blythe, that her and a gang of older girls beat me."

"They couldn't have—" Diana started, but I cut her off and turned around so she couldn't see my face.

"But they did," I said, this time in a calm voice. I gulped and walked into the bathroom, noticing the tub was full.

"Your bath is ready," I informed her, not meeting her eyes. "I'll be in my room if you need anything."

And with that, I marched out of Diana's room and into my own, which was right next door.

I could hear Diana's cries continue for hours, and I thought my head was going to explode. Yet, there was one thing that made me feel at ease. Diana would surely forget what I told her, and nobody would be hurt.