I. Worth of Peace

Start from the beginning

By my tent, I see my mare Loupe is saddled and her reigns being held by a squire, perhaps Mason's squire, but they often do not last. Mason is, after all, a famed knight with many names, and one that he is often called is "The East's Blacks Sword," which made it hard for Mason to keep any squire that fits his standards.

This one is new as I don't even know his name. He gazes at me with bright and eager eyes. He looks incredibly determined somehow with his blonde hair tucked behind a wool cap and brown eyes shifting down from mine.

"Your horse is ready, princess" He respectfully bows with his hands still on the reign.

"No need to bow" I feel the smile melt from my face as I climb on Loupe. I noticed that Mason doesn't look like he's preparing the ride home. "You're to make sure everyone gets home safe, yes?"

He nods.

I nod back. "Good"

Six cavalry knights rode with me. They're the ones who volunteered to be ready to go home early with me. I've noticed their uniforms are still splattered with blood and grime, but I'm in no position to ask them to change and rest. They seem to be more eager than me to get home.

The ride would take a whole day if we didn't stop. My mare and the horses of my knights would be able to take it. The eastern horses were bred especially for long, drawn-out rides and the pride of the kingdom. There was a myth that my great great great grandfather of mine bred our horses with the help of the gods by mixing our horses with that of a holy unnamed beast.

The myth is known throughout the country. It's told as a bedtime story for every child before they go to sleep, even in the gymnasium. The caretakers told us myths of our country and taught us basic arithmetic there.

Loupe galloped like air. Her hoof just flew and kicked through the dirt of the ground as I rode. I could feel her breath and heartbeat, but I could hardly feel the footfalls. I knew she enjoys the long runs that my company goes through. She'd rather go with me than foal in a barn till the end of her days.

My sister Evione often remarked how similar we both are. Strong and stubborn with the lust for our freedom. She often feared that I'll just pack everything and take Loupe with me to venture out on my own, but I wasn't that heartless.

My life and fate are bound to the people of my country.

Around the next day of the afternoon, the town below the palace caught wind of us arriving. I could hear the clamor of the citizen as they hurry to crowd the main street to get a look at us and cheer. They didn't seem to mind our bloody and cluttered state as they still waved and smiled at us. Cheering as if the war has ended, but they've always done this when we come home.

"Princess, the king, has requested that you remain in the palace and not go to the hospitals and slums," An attendant says the moment I climb down my mare on the courtyard of the palace. The church bells still ringing and echoing from the town.

The courtyard still looks as beautiful as ever. Shouldn't expect any less from my sister Marianne. The flowers and the greenhouse have always been her forte that even when we're lodging in the gymnasium, she always kept a few pots near the window.

Today it's all white roses in the courtyard. It made the dreary palace seems so vibrant and less depressing that I feel sorry for looking like this when it's so beautiful right now. The fountain glitters under the sunlight like fallen stars and pooling stardust.

"I understand," I tell the attendant. He bows before turning and leaving me with the cavalry knights. "You all can go to the barracks to get some rest before heading to your homes."