Tears of the Fallen Ch. 10

Start from the beginning

 Loretta frowned, as she appeared to weigh up what wasn’t being said. For a moment, it seemed she would press further and then she changed tactics. “We’ve been trying to convince Pietro to leave the house and get some exercise. Up until now, he has resisted all of our efforts. Perhaps, in your medical capacity, you could persuade him?”

 Cassia almost laughed at the blatant redirect. Her aunt surely must have known she could see right through her thinly veiled attempt at subterfuge. The idea of spending some time in the forest alone with Pietro was very appealing to her wolf that was suddenly very attentive to the conversation. She considered it for a moment and then smiled. “Perhaps I could.”

 Her job apparently done, Loretta beamed a smile back at her and gave her a quick hug. “Remember we’re here for you, honey. Anytime you need us. We’ve had years of dealing with the Romanov twins. We can help diffuse any hot tempers if required.”

 “I know.” Cassia hugged her aunt tightly. There had always been a close bond between the two families and that would never change. Most likely, that was down to the close sibling link between the Romanov twins. She was lucky to have such an amazing extended family, even if she did wish Elina was more inclined to join in with some of their family gatherings. Although she was part of that extended family, she had always gravitated towards Liam’s side as opposed to the Alexanders.

 Shaking off the unexpected thought, she filed it away for a later date when she had more time to consider it and smiled again at her aunt. “Let’s wait to see if there is anything that needs dealing with first.” It was the closest she was going to come to admitting there might be a possibility of some kind of relationship with Pietro. For the moment, she was only willing to share her true feelings with Dara, until she knew for sure what was going on with her wolf.

 It appeared to be enough for Loretta and they chatted about family matters as they headed back to the compound. Cassia said goodbye and turned towards the community hall instead of the lab, as was her original intention. There were a few pack members around beginning the daily task of preparing breakfast, but it was the tall brunette setting tables that she headed towards.

 “Don’t you ever sleep?”

 Liliana Romanov looked up with a wide smile. It lit up her face, turning her beauty into something quite breath taking.  “Mac doesn’t know the meaning of the word,” her cousin laughed, delight dancing in her eyes.

 “And you don’t look like you have any complaints,” Cassia laughed back, giving her a quick hug. “How are you feeling?”

 “Is that the would-be healer or my cousin asking?”

 Cassia laughed louder. “Probably a bit of both.”

 Lily scooped up some more silverware and headed to the next table. “I feel great now the sickness is over with. That was a bit of a nightmare, but a small price to pay.” Chocolate brown eyes turned to her cousin. “It’s a bit frightening, knowing that in only a few months I’m going to be a mother; I won’t deny that—but I can’t wait either. Does that make me sound silly?

 “It makes perfect sense, Lily, and I know you’re going to be an amazing mom. Mac, well, he’s going to be one freaking nightmare of an overprotective father.”

 Her cousin rolled her eyes but her smile was beatific. “Oh, I know, but I’ll find ways to counter that somehow.” She finished setting the table and then turned to peruse Cassia intently. “So, what can I do for you? I presume you didn’t come in here just to ask how impending motherhood was affecting me?”

 “You know me too well,” Cassia admitted with another grin. “I was looking for a breakfast basket.” The speculative glance Lily gave her made her want to groan, but she managed to keep her features neutral.