Chapter Thirty-Two: Celtic Charm

Start from the beginning

"Do you need help getting your things up to the porch, lass?" he asks me. His voice is a lot like my father's. I almost smile.

"No, it's okay. I've got it. Thank you so much."

I pay him double the original amount for his services. He looks at me, shocked at the money I have given him. Even more shocked that I don't seem to care. He's more deserving of it than I am, that's a fact.

I start getting my things out of the trunk. The moment I open it, I see the front door swing open. And there she is - bright red hair, chubby frame and a smile to rival the rain. My grandmother - Granny Fae - runs down the porch steps with a few others following close behind. One of them, I recognize is my uncle Alan. I hope he isn't drunk; it's a well-known fact that the Scottish are impossible to understand while drunk.

"Christ almighty!" Granny Fae screams happily before embracing me. "What did I do to deserve such a surprise!?"

She doesn't even let me answer before forcing me into the house. Uncle Alan helps with my bags and sets them into the kitchen. I see the cabbie pull away from outside the window in the kitchen, the rain blanketing much of it.

"I flew in for business but decided to visit instead," I explain to Granny Fae while I take off my coat and put it on the coat rack. "I hope that's alright."

"My sweet girl, that is more than alright," Granny Fae laughs. "Christ, I'm so excited you're here, I can't even believe it! Tell me you'll stay a while, darling?"

Now that is a suggestion I can't live up to. Although the fresh air and peaceful serenity is nice, I still have to check back into the real world - the real world of responsibility and stress.

I feel an arm snake around my neck and pull me into a firm chest. My Uncle Alan - tall, burly and friendly like my father - pulls me in for a hug.

"Bah," he grunts to Granny Fae, pointing to my mud-covered heels. "Little Muireall is a businesswoman, mum. She don't got time for us country folk." he kisses my head. "T'was yesterday, you were just a wee lassie, running around the house with your cousin. Now, look at you? Jesus, I'm getting old, aren't I?"

I hate that name - my middle name. My father would call me that often when I was little. Hearing it again makes me cringe.

Uncle Alan's children (who are my age) welcome me warmly coming down the stairs. My Aunt, Judith, is as surprised as Granny Fae to see me, too.

"Your father ain't with you, love?" she asks as she hugs me.

I shake my head, "He's still back in the states. I came to Glasgow for business and decided to pay Glencoe a visit."

"Well, you came at a great time," Aunt Judith tells me. "Right when we all come to visit Ma and Pa when the highlands get slammed with a storm." Aunt Judith laughs. "We'll be snuggled close for a nice while, you reckon Ma?"

Granny Fae nods, squinting her eyes at me with a smile. God, the questions are about to flood in worse than the storm.

"Give her some room to breathe, everyone," Granny Fae says.

Aunt Judith grabs my things. "I'll take your things upstairs - "

"Oh no, I'm...I'm only staying for a couple of hours. I have a couple of business expenses I have to tend to this week."

Everyone in the room looks at me, slowly turns to the rain-pounded windows, then back at me. I do the same thing before smiling at every body.

"The rain will let up," I assure them. "I'm certain."