CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

Start from the beginning

"It is good to see you, Clary," Alec reassured. "Except, of course, for the fact that you're really not supposed to be here. Isabelle told us how you got here on your own, and I'm impressed—" Adrian had started to nod in agreement when Jace's voice cut Alec sharply off. Adrian tilted his head and frowned at Jace. He hadn't been nearly as tense before Clary showed up.

"Could you not encourage her?" Jace demanded. Adrian's eyebrows shot up.

"By the Angel, Jace, shut up," he sighed, turning toward Clary. "Can you give us a few minutes, little red? If Alec has to send you away, it could get us in trouble if you hear whatever he has to tell us." Clary nodded, opening her mouth to say something. Once again, Jace interrupted.

"I don't feel like talking," he dismissed, much to Alec's obvious annoyance. Adrian went to him, wrapping his arms around his waist and resting his chin on Alec's shoulder. Alec leaned into him, mumbling something under his breath about Jace that was explicit even for Alec, whose language sometimes rivaled Adrian's own. He didn't curse much around Adrian, but he did around Jace, probably just because Jace brought out the annoyed, exasperated part of him. Jace continued speaking, turning toward Clary with his arms crossed over his chest. "You didn't come here alone, did you?"

"No," Clary admitted, if a bit reluctantly. Adrian's eyebrows shot up. He shared a look with Isabelle, who had pushed away from the wall to stand beside Alec and Adrian, while Jace was now glaring at Clary. "I came with Luke." Adrian looked at her sharply at that. Isabelle sucked in a sharp breath, while Alec just frowned and glanced down at the floor.

"Luke is a Downworlder," Jace pointed out, sounding even angrier than before. Adrian felt Alec go still against him, and he tightened his hold around Alec's waist. "Do you know what the Clave does to unregistered Downworlders who come into the Glass City without permission? Do you know what they do to them if they cross the wards and actually come into the city itself? Do you know that if you and Luke don't go back to New York immediately, you'll find out?" There was a beat of tense silence. Clary was staring at Jace in shock. Adrian didn't blame her. All of them were staring at Jace as if he were a stranger. Luke was their friend, one of the few adults they could even begin to trust when they needed help, or even needed a place to stay, and none of them could believe Jace had just threatened him. Threatened them both. Adrian dropped his arms from around Alec's waist and straightened.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" he asked. Jace didn't look at him, but his jaw did tighten. He just continued to stare coldly at Clary.

"Jace," Alec said, voice tense. He cast a nervous glance between Jace, Clary, and Adrian before settling on Jace again. "Haven't you wondered where I've been all day?" That seemed to catch Jace's attention. He glanced away from Clary, only for a split second, to take Alec in. He frowned.

"That's a new jacket you're wearing," he noted, and to his credit, it was. Though it wasn't Alec's, Adrian realized with a small smile. It was one Adrian had bought for himself. He hadn't even realized Alec had borrowed it. "I'm assuming you went shopping." Alec frowned at that.

"I didn't go shopping," he argued with a scowl. "I mean, I did, but—that's not the point. I went—" He stopped when Adrian pressed a hand to his lower back, the pressure hard enough to get his attention. He glanced over at Adrian, who smiled.

"Little red's still here," he reminded, shooting Clary a small look. She was glaring at Jace still, the look on her face truly frightening. Adrian couldn't help feeling a little proud. The Clary who was in front of him now was far from the girl who had cowered when seeing a demon in her old apartment building, after they had found the Mortal Cup. It seemed like months ago, now, though he knew it had only been one. "And so is Luke," Adrian added, grimacing. Clary grimaced, too. "Clary—"