"Our life together! We don't even know each other. There is no US!" My phone rang, startling me, making me jump. Reaching into my pocket I fished it out and quickly answered without looking to see who it was.

Upon hearing the voice I winced, I had been avoiding this call for days. "Oh sorry just been busy moving in and all. No, there's no need. Everything is under control. No, I don't need anything. Yes, I promise to call if any thing comes up. Yes I know you warned me about being out here by myself,"  Giving me space to talk he walked toward the kitchen while I was pacing the floor trying to hurry my uncle up.

"No, I haven't seen any..." Realizing what my uncle just said I slowly turned, knowing he would still be there. Meeting his eyes I knew my uncle was warning me about this man and his friends- pack. He must have sensed something because he walked toward me, "Give me the phone."

Not knowing what he was capable of I froze, "Nila! Nila, are you okay? Nila, we are on our way. Don't leave the house! Nila!"

Taking the phone and hitting the speaker button he answered, "Aww, Leon. How nice to hear your voice again."

"Gerome, you filthy mut! If you lay one paw on my niece I will torture your pack one by one. Starting with your mate!"

Deep laughter rose from Gerome's chest. "Uncle, I don't understand. You know this man, and about a mate and pack. What does all this mean? Why would you torture his mate."

"Nila, it will be okay. That doesn't matter right now. The family is on the way."

"The family? Why is the family all here anyway? What is going on?" My knees gave out and just before I hit the floor, warm arms caught me. Picking me up and walking me to the sofa. "Are you okay? Do you need some water?" Genome asked me looking concerned.

"Do not touch her you! I will kill you!"

"Uncle!"

"Why don't you tell your beautiful niece why you will torture my mate." Gerome handed me a glass of water and sat beside me. Not to sure about his close proximity I scooted toward the other side of the sofa. He just smiled with a knowing look.

"She doesn't need to hear this. Besides it won't matter soon anyway, I can see your Pack House  now. You will feel the agony as your mate draws her last breathe."

"Sorry to disappoint but you will find the Pack House and all houses empty. We have relocated since your last umm ... 'visit'. We have made ourselves home in a nice little area surrounded by mountains and neighbor to a very beautiful woman."

"You son of ..."

"Why would he feel his mates agony. WHAT is a mate?" No answer from my uncle but I could hear him breathing and chatter in the background.

"Let me explain mates since the line has went silent. You see my little spitfire, my pack and I, we are werewolves. A human that can shift into a wolf. We still retain all our human qualities ..."

"That's a lie you animal. You kill innocent humans!" uncle screamed.

"Oh like you kill innocent werewolves," Gerome sneered but smiled at me once we locked gazes again. He placed my hand between his much larger ones. "Anyway, werewolves have the ability to change back and forth between  their  human form and their wolf form after they reach 12 years of age. At this time they will also be able to recognize their mate." About to ask what a mate was he rushed on. "A mate is our other half. A person that compliments and completes the other. Also thought to be our soulmates. The only one that makes you feel  whole, loved."

"But how will you feel..." Gerome once again smiled at me, moving a piece of stray hair behind me ear. "Mates are cherished. Males are very protective and possessive. They will not let   any harm come to their mates. Once a male has found his mate they have to complete the bond.