Event Twelve: Penultimate Peril, Part One

Start from the beginning

So Hermione did. She told Ginny everything. About the topless mermaids, the sunblock art, the dinner, the grotto, Urania, the not-so-see-through dress, the scar, the kisses, and finally the slap.

When Hermione finished, she looked up from her pillow and wailed, "Ginny, why am I such an idiot?"

But instead of lecturing her on her stupidity, Ginny just smiled. "You're not an idiot. You're just a very confused girl who tends to over think things until she's petrified herself. It's not as bad as you think."

"Not that bad?! Ginny, I'm in love with Draco Malfoy! And he knows!"

"Actually, he doesn't. You never told him that. But that doesn't matter; everything will turn out fine."

"How can you say that? I don't even know how to begin fixing this."

"It's quite simple, really. You'll tell him that he was right, that you're in love with him."

"Are you insane? There is no way I am going to admit that. And even if I were, it would be impossible, since I'm never going to see him again."

Ginny shook her head, still smiling in a way that grated on Hermione's overwrought nerves. "Why are you laughing?! I'm being serious. Do you honestly think I can face Draco after what happened?"

"You're going to have to talk to him eventually, like at work...or on your date to Pansy's wedding."

Hermione had forgotten all about that. She had accrued enough vacation time, so she could put off worrying about returning to work for a few weeks. Pansy's wedding was slightly trickier, but surely a week before the wedding wasn't too late to cancel. She'd just get Pansy an extra special wedding gift.

"I'm not going," Hermione said.

Ginny crossed her arms over her chest, raising her eyebrows. "So are you planning on hiding in your room for the rest of your life?"

"Maybe."

Hermione hadn't meant it when she first answered, but now that she thought about it, it wasn't such a bad idea after all. She could summon food here. Maybe even train Crookshanks and Widdershins to fetch the paper or run errands for her. Finances might be problematic, but she was sure her parents would help her out if she asked. And her friends could-

"Absolutely not!" Ginny said, shaking her. "I refuse to be friends with a recluse, so you can stop devising whatever barmy ideas you're planning!"

"They are not barmy! It could work if I just—"

"Alright, enough wallowing. It's turning your brain to mush." Ginny pulled Hermione out of bed. "It's time we got you a Pepperup Potion and some chicken noodle soup." Dragging her to the kitchen, Ginny started going through the cabinets while Hermione sank into her chair, resting her burning cheek against the cool of the table.

After Ginny opened a can of condensed soup and set it to boil, she plopped down in the chair next to Hermione, holding out the Pepperup Potion. "Drink this," she ordered.

"No. I plan on calling in sick for the rest of the week. If I drink that, I won't be able to." Hermione pushed the potion away. "Besides, I deserve to be sick for being so stupid," she said.

"Hermione, if you don't drink this, I will tie you down to the table and force it down your throat."

And people thought Draco was a bully. He was a kitten in comparison to Ginny. "Some comforter you are." Snatching the potion, she took an angry sip. "You're as insensitive as Harry."

"He's a boy. They aren't smart when it comes to these things. And I don't think either of us realized what a shock this would be for you. We've all kind of considered you and Malfoy as a couple for some time."