17 | It Isn't Your Fault

Börja om från början

Declan reached out to the coffee table and grabbed Bennett's keys; he'd left them out because he probably had at least ten backup keys.

We piled into the car, Declan driving, Jordan in shotgun, and me brooding in the back. I didn't even bother to buckle my seatbelt, because who cared if anything happened to me?

Bennett could be dying. If he dies, there's really no point in me living anymore.

(I just want to warn you that the last time I was at a hospital, I was four, so let's pretend I know what I'm doing)

Quickly, we sped over to the emergency room and parked the car, rushing into the building, pushing past other nervous people and up to the visitor's desk.

"Who are you here for—"

"Bennett, Bennett Frazier!" I shouted, and the lady that I had been talking to before came from around the corner.

"You're the girlfriend?" she asked, looking at me carefully. "And you two?" she asked, gesturing to us. "Is this some sort of reverse harem—"

"We're his friends," Declan cut her off. "His best friends. In the entire world. Yeah."

She looked unimpressed. "Naomi Lorraine?" she clarified. "And your names?"

"Declan Lynch and Jordan Wallace," I answered for them.

"I suppose they can wait along with you in the priority waiting room," she said, and we followed her into another room.

I could immediately tell that this was the waiting room for the ICU, because everyone here looked ten times more stricken. There were just a few families, and their faces looked gaunt, their eyes haunted.

That wasn't going to happen to us, was it?

"Wait here until I'm given the clear, and I'll bring you up to his floor," she told us, her voice emotionless and cold.

She left without a word, disappearing into one of the many, many hallways. We sat in silence, our hands linked together, just thinking, no, not thinking, anything but thinking.

They're wrong. It's my fault. It is.

I was instantly distracted when the door was thrown open and someone walked in to sit beside us. A young man with sharp, angular features, and ghostly skin, and ice-colored eyes, and dark hair—

It can't be Bennett. Bennett was shot.

I blinked, and then realized: the lack of earrings, the clean crew cut, the tailored suit he was wearing. Of course he was here, why wouldn't he be here?

"I came as soon as I heard," he whispered, and for once his arrogant voice was flat. "Naomi, I'm so sorry..."

"It's not your fault, Bentley." It's mine.

"My father told me to come instead. He's still mad at Bennett, said the stupid kid got what he deserved. I didn't think my brother deserved to get shot. But Benedict Frazier does what he wants, I suppose."

"Benedict Frazier. Like everyone says, you are what your name is," Jordan blurted randomly.

"Jordan," Declan said. "No one says that."

Jordan ignored him. "Like I said before, his name is literally 'Ben' and 'Di—"

I shushed him, gesturing to all of the innocent little kids sitting in the waiting room. "Jordan, you're going to get us thrown out of the hospital."

"No one gets thrown out of a hospital—"

"I would throw you out of my hospital if I was a hospital owner," Declan offered.

"Aww, you," Jordan replied, fake blushing at Declan's retort and batting his eyelashes.

"It wasn't a compliment."

Their squabbling was immediately shut off when the hospital lady walked back into the room. All four of us looked back up at her.

"All right. You can go and see him... but I'm a afraid I have some bad news..."

• • •

I am a terrible person hahahaha

Yes, there is going to be a part three, and it is probably be out this week if I have time.

Also, I am so sorry if I offended everyone with my lack of hospital knowledge, if anyone has any corrections, feel free to tell me!

peace out you guys