He felt her eyes roaming on him trying to decipher his thoughts. She had a very expressive face. He could feel her expressions change in fraction of seconds as her thoughts ran from one to another. From curious to confused frown and then discarding her own thoughts, all the while her eyes contracting, expanding and changing shape along with her thoughts.  He couldn’t resist her stare and started smiling as he looked down. Seeing him smile, she understood he had become conscious of her watching him and smiled back.

“why are you wandering out at this time?” he asked as he looked at her. she was really pretty. “I sneaked out actually, From my aunt’s house. Dad was out of town so I was crashing at her place. He’ll be back this morning and I have college to attend. So thought of going back home” she cheerfully explained her part of story. “so.. you came without informing them?” he asked frowning not liking that bit. She nodded in confirm. “don’t you know how unsafe it is for a girl to roam outside at this time? That too alone?” she didn’t have an answer to that so kept mum as she hung her head down. “it’s my first time” she said. She didn’t know why but she wanted him to know. He looked at for a moment before turning his head back to the road.

“why are you out at this time” she decided to ask him seeing him go silent. “I couldn’t sleep” he shrugged casually. “Sleep walking?” she asked dreading making him burst out laughing. “no. it’s not that. don’t you think I’m very much awake as of now?” he asked sobering up a bit. She cheekily smiled back. “so why were you sleep deprived?” she continued her previous query. “my father wants me to get married soon” he said as if his problem was well explained and done with. “and?” she probed further. “and I don’t know whom to marry.”, “so?”, “so we had a discussion on that and..” , “it has upset you” she completed for him understanding his situation. He nodded in agreement remembering the conversation with his father. 

As they walked along the road for few more minutes, Madhu uncomfortably shifted her gaze around and her eyes landed on a roadside ice cream seller’s cart nearby. “ice cream” she screamed and like a force of nature threw her bag onto Rishab to hold and ran to get her favorite ice cream in a jiff,  as Rishab watched astounded. He watched her amused as she bought herself a chocolate cone with a child’s glee.  Walking towards her, he watched her devouring the ice cream enjoying every bit of it as she merrily licked the cone and also the ice cream spread around her lips, darting her tongue out, without a care to the world. She brushed off the few water drops that dribbled down from her forehead.  Feeling his eyes on her she looked at him and forwarded her ice cream in lieu of asking whether he wanted one, to which he shook his head in negative. He liked her. he liked her a lot more than necessary. Her child like reactions, her carefree nature, her smile, her eyes, she was so refreshing, like a gentle wind. He ran his fingers through his hair as he closed his eyes enjoying the cool breeze laden with few water droplets.

As he brought his hand down back to its place, Madhu looked at the time and found it to be 5 minutes past three. Oh god! She was supposed to call that guy. “ can you pass me my phone? Its in the first pouch of the bag.” She asked him cutely. Hanging the bag on the arm of his hand with which he held the umbrella, he pulled out her phone from her bag with his other hand and passed it to her.

“stupid network. It didn’t get another good time to disappear” she muttered irritated finding the network was not available in her phone. “can I have your phone? I need to make an urgent call” she asked him. “here” he forwarded her his phone and at the same time she forwarded her ice cream to him. “what?” he asked confused. “hold this.  I need to make a call to a number in my phone. Now I can’t hold two phones and an ice cream at the same time as I’m created with just two hands” she jeered making him chuckle mentally. 

Keeping the phone on top of her phone in one of her hand, he took the ice cream quickly from her other hand so as to help her place one phone in each of her hands.  She dialed the costume lender’s number from his phone and waited for the guy to pick up the call. Rishab watched her tilting her head as she held the phone near her ears  impatiently waiting for the person to pic the call. Unknown to himself, he had started licking her half eaten ice cream, as he stood staring at her. “busy? Like in real?  whom is he busy conversing with that too at this time of the night/ morning, whatever? Didn’t ruhi say he would be with his wife now?” she wondered out loud frustrated as the guy was already busy on a call and then it got disconnected. She turned to Rishab to return his phone and got pissed seeing some of her ice cream spread across his lips and chin.