Chapter 21: Bittersweet

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Why?" I can't help but feel the need to dig deeper because at a time like this, anyone could hurt my mate. With Charlotte at her weakest state, the danger persists. I scrutinize his face, searching for a sign that may indicate that he plans to threaten her. But like always, his face remains impassive.

'Emotionless bloke,' Xavier growls. Rolling my eyes, I shushed him.

"Because." Derek's eyes fluttered briefly as he continued; he looked like he could think of a thousand things he'd rather be doing right then. "Everyone needs a little inspiration and it seems like she really needs it the most, since everything's on the line now."

After that, he stood up so quickly the chair fell over backwards from the impact. I barely noticed his eyes were bloodshot, that his dejection was making a visible appearance within his eyes. I softened; I couldn't imagine what he was going through. Though, he and the rest of the world don't know what I'm going through either.

"For Charlotte." He plants a fatherly kiss on her forehead, which holds such a mixture of emotions - love, sorrow, frustration - all laced with the lingering horror of seeing his own adoptive daughter stuck in an almost inescapable trouble. I felt dizzy. So many questions splintered my mind and I couldn't keep it straight.

Soon, the Beta vacated the room, leaving behind me and his daughter that was fending for her life.

We were stuck, Charlie and I, in a cruel version of the tale Sleeping Beauty. I wanted to escape all the bad that had so desperately clung to my mate. I wanted to escape the Council, who threaten to walk on her path and follow her to the very ends of Earth.

All in all, life sucked but Charlie somehow sugar-coated it, making it a whole lot sweeter.

The clock struck 4:00 A.M. when my eyes began to droop. It felt like strings were sewed to the edges of my eyelids, and they were being pulled - akin to window shields. I didn't object, sliding willingly beside Charlie in my bed. I felt like I could sleep for a month, or at least until Charlie finally awoken. I laced my fingers through hers and squeezed, knowing I wouldn't get a reaction.

For Charlotte. The words floated in my mind until I finally fell asleep.

❧ ✶ ❧

The morning sun was scorching, though it did not soothe the coldness lingering in the Pack House. I'd just woken up to the sound of shouts and it had me barreling down towards the first floor. Reaching the end of the stairs, the hall was devoid of people and broken dishes and ripped clothing had been scattered everywhere.

Though, it wasn't that that made me snap. All I saw was red, because that was the color of the bloody words written on the wall. It was horrible and I knew our pack had transformed into something it wasn't.

                                She deceived us all.

                                Charlotte Taken will be no more.  

I faltered, staring incredulously at the comment. My mouth had dried and my heart pounded against my chest. All reasonable judgment of mind had vanished and turned into a blank slate. It was obvious, a great deal of the pack had lost faith in Charlie and it was going to be nearly impossible to change their perspective of her, now.

And for the first time, I didn't know what to do.

"Get out of my face, Sake. We all know she's a liar!"