The Pain We Feel is the only Road to Healing Scars as Deep as those of Sorrow

Start from the beginning

So they weren't leaving? Or-wait, what? Korra was so confused. She looked back to Tarrlok who stood tall in the large, icy palace hallway-almost as tall as her father, actually. His expression now looked, well, she would call it something akin to apologetic. But was that even possible? Since when had Tarrlok ever exhibited anything even close to remorse? But there wasn't any doubt in Korra's mind that was what she witnessed looking back at her from the man's face. Tarrlok extended a hand to her in offering, and with a light nudge from her father to prompt her forward, Korra accepted it without complaint. There were so many questions that she had. If following Tarrlok was the only way to get the answers, then she would do it-but they had better be good answers!

Tarrlok was grateful for Tonraq's intervention. He was not sure he would have been able to get Korra to leave the palace without that small bit of help. Tarrlok would have to thank the chief in private later. For now, he would lead Korra to the back of the palace grounds where a royal sleigh pulled by several buffalo-yaks was waiting. Where they were going Tarrlok did not want to be followed if he could help it. Korra perked a brow at the sight of the sleigh awaiting them at the furthest point of the palace's perimeter. Where in the name of La was he taking her? She almost asked him, but then thought better of it. Something was up. Tarrlok just hadn't said what, yet. He allowed her to get comfortable in the white sleigh before he took a seat at the front with the reigns.

One lash of the leather reigns and a loud call of "YAH!" from Tarrlok was all it took for the team of buffalo-yaks to speed off. They were headed for the tundra. He was headed home. Tarrlok wasn't sure how he felt about visiting his mother, but the years had been long since he had last seen her. He knew she probably wouldn't even recognize his face anymore with all of the unsightly scars-and Tarrlok couldn't even begin to think of how he was going to tell her that Noatak was dead. Maybe he just wouldn't bring it up at all? She was already under the impression that Noatak was dead, anyway. How could he tell her that Noatak was alive, had tried to ruin Republic City, stolen his-and the Avatar's bending, and then was killed by Tarrlok, himself? Whatever heart had been left unshattered within his mother would surely wither away if he told her the truth.

"Okay. Now c'mon, Tarrlok, spill it. I want to hear exactly what all of this is about," Korra spat, her arms crossed and her eyes watching the falling snow rush past them, "What did you guys talk about in that stupid war room?"

And of course the loud mouth in the backseat was finally starting to ask questions. Not that Tarrlok had expected Korra to blindly and silently follow him into the frozen tundra, but he had at least hoped she could be less abrasive about the situation. No matter. He had planned to fill her in on the events that had occurred during the meeting on their way to his childhood home, anyway.

"Your father is a good leader, Korra, and he cares about all of the people from the Water Tribe-not just the north or the south alone," Tarrlok began, "but he and the council don't really see eye-to-eye. The council wants to make our political arrangement work, but the tribes are having a difficult time accepting it when I am without your father's blessing. So he and I have arranged to get to know one another better-and with any luck, I will be able to earn his blessing through merit and not just because of the crisis in the north."

There was more, but he would give her a chance here to interject if she wanted. When Tarrlok did not hear her he peeked behind him to make sure she was still in the sleigh. He wasn't sure what he was expecting her to say to that information, but he had expected her to say-something. He would take advantage of her silence and continue speaking, then. "The council is worried about how you and I are functioning as a wedded couple, however. And I can see where that concern could stem from. I understand you better than you think, Korra. You don't want to feel like I am controlling you, or that I'm dominating you in some way," he clutched the reigns tighter in his hands, "I know I've done so in the past, and for that I am sorry. But..."