Dishonor and Sorrow Pave a Path for Outward Reflections all the Worse

Start from the beginning

Bolin quickly crept over to Asami as the Northern Water Tribe leader began to speak. "Psst! Asami!" He whispered, "Is this seat taken?"

Her long tendrils of ebony hair swayed from side to side as she shook her head. Asami knew Mako would not be changing his mind about attending the ceremony. Bolin looked relieved, plopping himself into the chair beside her. "Great!" He sighed, "Doesn't Korra look beautiful?"

Asami shrugged. "I guess—if you're into traditional Water Tribe bridal gowns," she replied in an equally hushed voice.

"Oh come on!" he hissed, "She's stunning! The train on that blue parka is killer!"

"Yeah, I'm sure she's dying in it. The weather here is not even close to being as cold as the south pole."

"Okay, but the leopard-seal headdress and the veil are definitely winning fashion."

She crossed her arms and admired her red evening dress with its intricate silk bustles. "I suppose she does make me feel under-dressed for the occasion, but I guarantee Tahno would disagree with your statement."

Bolin had prepared another set of comments, but he was silenced by the cold stare from the general looming over Asami's left shoulder. "Some of us would actually like to hear them exchange vows."

Asami caught Bolin muttering under his breath (which of course was more like loud whispering) about the prince's general lack of fondness for much of anything—the thought of which elicited a light snicker from herself. Asami didn't quite understand why the vow exchange was so important to the general. Her first thought was it was just business for him, but after Korra exchanged rings with Tarrlok she saw him quickly dab his eyes with a handkerchief. She couldn't decide if she would say something to him or not, but she eventually settled on not bringing it up. She doubted that General Iroh would have wanted her to approach him about it—it was none of her business.

At the conclusion of the ceremony Asami flinched when Tarrlok leaned in to kiss her friend. In fact, Asami adverted her gaze to her new shoes rather than be subjected to the scene in front of her. She could hear Bolin next to her firmly expressing his disgust. A weak applause broke out and guests began to stand. Asami took this to mean it was safe to look now. The paparazzi began snapping photos of the avatar and her husband—which would no doubt be front page news for the following day. It had been a nice ceremony, but Asami was glad it was over. Bolin began crying intensely, but Asami didn't understand his purpose for the tears. She moved him aside and headed for the sanctuary, where the reception would be taking place.

"Miss. Sato." She turned to see General Iroh give her a light bow—why was the prince bowing to her?

"It would be my honor to escort you to this eve's events seeing as your," he searched for the proper word, glancing at Bolin who was weeping on the shoulder of his pet fire ferret, "usual companions appear to be indisposed."

She was flattered, but she did not want him to feel obligated to chaperon her. She was perfectly capable of handling herself. "I must decline, Your highness." She replied with a light curtsy, "While although I am flattered by the kind gesture, I am more confident on my own."