Flashback: I Can't Do This Anymore: Part III

Start from the beginning

"Talk to ya soon man," I said before closing the phone. I glanced down at the phone and debated to try her again to tell her the news. I had a single doing well on the country charts and a song that I had co-written was the new number one. Then I just got mad. I picked up the bottle of whiskey and chunked it at the wall as it and grinned as it shattered.  Fuck her, I thought as I pushed myself up off the couch to go get a shower before Ben got here. When she decided she wanted to quit being so stubborn she could call me.

Stephanie's POV

I was walking back to my car after spending the day shopping for wedding stuff with my mom. It was July and we had set the date for this next June. I was going to be gray headed before it was all said and done. Brantley had tried calling earlier but I had ignored the calls.

Mom had given me a strange look when she noticed it was him but the look I gave her warned her to not ask. I was almost to my car when my phone rang in my purse causing me to jump. I almost let it ring figuring it may be him again but my eyes widened when I pulled it out and read the caller id.

"Hello," I answered smiling even before the person spoke.

"Firecracker! How you doing darlin?" Colt boomed in my ear.

"I've been doing ok Colt. How about you?" I asked as I unlocked my car door.

"Awesome honey, awesome. Look just got some exciting news. Dirt Road Anthem hit number one," he said. I could practically see the huge grin through the phone. I let out a shriek and did a dance in my seat. I was so happy for them.

"That's amazing Colt. I am so proud of y'all," I said grinning as I started my Jeep.

"Yea it is. Now listen darlin the party for this is next week in Nashville on Wednesday. That was the day that they could get everyone in town. I don't know what you and BG are arguing about this time, but please promise me you will be there. You have to be there for this," Colt pleaded with me. I sighed and dropped my head down onto the steering wheel.

"I can't make any promises Colt, but I will try ok. Just text me the time and location please," I said fighting back tears. He let out a deep sigh grumbling under his breath. Pretty sure I heard stubborn asses in there somewhere.

"Ok honey, that's all I can ask. Expect to hear from me. I'll let ya go. Talk to you soon firecracker," he said.

"Bye Colt," I said before hanging up. I stared at the phone in my hand for a minute as the tears welled up in my eyes. I had been there for every milestone in our lives and I didn't know if I had the strength for this one. I opened my phone and scrolled through my contacts until I got to his name. I almost hit the button to dial and thought better of it.

I missed him so much it hurt. I was terrified every time that the phone rang it would be Kolby calling to tell me something had happened to him. The wreck when we were nineteen had almost killed me when I got the call. I wanted to go, but after everything he had said to me, sober or not, I didn't know if he even would want me there. I flicked my finger over the charms on the bracelet on my wrist and debated with myself.

Brantley's POV

I put my hands in my pockets to hide how jittery they were. I tried to chalk it up to nerves but even I knew better. I wanted to enjoy today so I had done everything I could to not take a drink or look for a pill. My dreams were starting to come true. Colt clapped a big hand on my shoulder as we listened to the executives in the front talk. Jason was standing on my other side grinning. I could see Mama and Kolby standing in the back. Jason leaned over to whisper in my ear after his eyes scanned the crowd.

"Where's Stephanie? I figured she would be front row center for this one man," he asked pulling back to look at me. I just shrugged my shoulders and turned my attention back to the man talking. We all gave a small speech and posed for photos with our plaques. As they were snapping the last photo, I noticed the door to the room open and the most welcome sight to my eyes stepped through it glancing around.