"Thank you!" Alana exclaimed. By the time Dana was halfway through her own sandwich by the time Alana finished her own. After finishing her own food, Dana peered at Alana.

"So what are you doing out here?" she asked. Alana frowned and shrugged.

"What are you doing out here?" Alana countered. Dana shrugged and leaned back.

"I'm running away," she said matter-of-factly. "I've had enough of my family. I'm on my own now."

Something about that didn't sit right with Alana. A surge of confusion and annoyance rose up. How could someone be tired of their family? At least she had one. Alana only had memories of hiking through the jungle and a burnt arm.

"That's..." Alana trailed off, unsure of what to say. "Shouldn't you at least try to-"

She stopped as Dana held up a hand and sprung to her feet.

"Wait. Do you hear that?" she asked, beginning to edge her way over to the side of the trail. Alana stood up too and listened intently.

Hoofbeats. A Mecha was approaching fast.

"Alana?" a man's voice called out.

Dana crept back into the bushes lining the trail.

"Who's that?" she hissed. Alana stood on the trail, silent. Her feet felt like they were glued down. She turned to Dana, who was disappearing between the leaves.

"I'm not letting anyone find me. What if they make me go back home? You should get moving too. You never know who's out here." Dana paused and gave Alana a small smile. "See you around."

"I- um. Okay. See you," Alana stammered, surprised at her eagerness to leave. Just as her new friend disappeared into the jungle, a wolf Mecha rounded a corner a few yards behind Alana. The white machine screeched to a halt. Alana gasped and took a couple steps back.

The rider of the Mecha jumped off, grinning. He was tall with tan skin and black hair, and gave off a vibe that was both powerful and protecting.

"Hello, Alana. I've been trying to find you for a while. My name is Will Shane."

~~~~~~~~

It was Alana's eighth birthday. She had been living with Will Shane for nearly three years, and had gotten used to many things other than the hideout and Will's slug arsenal.

Will disappeared. Often. The first few times, Alana had been plagued with thoughts of him never returning. She would have to be alone again, and Slugterra would be without its protector.

But he always came back.

It took around a year of Alana living with him for Will to finally spill his secret. He explained that he was going to visit his son, Eli, up on "the surface."

Alana had laughed when he first described the world to her, but once she realized that Will was serious, she became infatuated with the world. There was no cavern ceiling- just a sky that was illuminated every day with a yellow glow and every night with a silver one. Eli was around Alana's age, and was living topside until he was old enough to come down to Slugterra to be the Shane (if he chose to).

Will was due to return from one of his trips today. Alana hopped down the stairs, Ash perched on her right shoulder. Mage, one of her newest slugs, sat on her left. The small white Boon Doc was the result of a trip to Bonnie Springs.