Ash hopped up to her shoulder, carefully avoiding Alana's burn. Once he was settled, his red eyes drifted down to the wrapped area on her arm and stayed there.

Alana frowned as she watched him, but didn't say anything. Ash had been acting weird the past couple days. She felt like he should be happier, but she had no idea know why. Other than the last two days of wandering the jungle, Alana couldn't come up with any solid memories of her slug.

Staying silent and taking in the beautiful jungle scenery as she walked along the forest's path, Alana's wide blue eyes darted all around her. Every minute or so, she would glance over her shoulder to ensure that she was not being followed. Again, she had no idea who would be following her, but the idea was planted in her mind.

The walk was uneventful. Alana would go from quietly humming to twirling around, mimicking leaves that would fall in her path, to skipping down the dirt road.

After what seemed like days to Alana (but, in reality, was an hour and a half) of trekking, she froze in her tracks.

She'd heard a twig snap. While it wasn't an uncommon occurrence in the jungle, she'd gotten used to the quiet movements of the native slugs. This had been quick and loud- definitely not made by a slug only a couple inches high.

"What was that, Ash?" she whispered, backing up and walking off the path. If something was following her, she didn't want to be out in the open.

But before she could hide herself in the bushes lining the path, a figure burst out of the greenery and into the path a few yards down. Alana gasped just as the small figure shrieked at the sight of Alana. Ash squeaked quietly and moved to hide behind Alana's hair so the girl couldn't see him.

Alana took a few steps back, keeping her eyes on the little girl that just jumped out in front of her. She had dark tan skin and brown hair that hung loose around her face, and was wearing a red tee-shirt and black shorts.

She took a few steps toward Alana, peering at her with green eyes.

"Who are you? Why are you just out walking through the jungle?" the mystery girl asked. As she approached, Alana saw that while she was a little taller than her, they seemed to both be the same age.

"I don't know, why are you walking through the jungle?" Alana asked quietly. The girl paused for a second, and then laughed.

"Good point. I'm Dana," she said.

Something about her demeanor made Alana relax. She waved to Dana.

"I'm..." Alana paused and for a moment, she couldn't think of what she was going to say. "Alana. I'm Alana."

"Are you sure?" Dana asked skeptically.

"Yes."

"'Cause you didn't seem sure."

"I'm sure."

"Okay," Dana said with a shrug. "So what are you doing out here? You look exhausted. And hungry. I have sandwiches if you want. Just peanut butter, but they're good."

Alana's eyes widened and she nodded.

"Yes please!" she exclaimed. Dana laughed and sat down on the ground, pulling off her backpack. Alana copied her, sitting carefully on the ground and gratefully taking one of the sandwiches that Dana took out of the bag.