Event Elevent: Grim Grotto, Part Two

Start from the beginning

Ugh. Sharon. Hermione had another person to add to her "Does Not Exist" list.

"So...are you going with anyone to the wedding?"

Draco shrugged. "I hadn't thought of it. Why? Do you need a date?"

Of course the question shocked her, and of course he asked it as she was trying to swallow a large piece of shrimp. She was too busy trying not to choke on it to answer him. Grabbing the nearest liquid, Hermione downed the rest of her wine.

Draco looked over at her, alarmed. "Are you alright?" Scooting his chair closer to her, he gently rubbed her back.

She was still coughing, but managed a feeble, "Yes." Her face felt flushed though, from the alcohol and the humiliation.

"Good. So do you want to go to Pansy's wedding together?"

Hermione cleared her throat, still having difficulty swallowing. And breathing. Draco was still patting her on the back. "Sure, why not?"

He leaned in, smiling. "That's a relief. Now that Weasley's single, I don't want him getting any ideas concerning me."

"Oh. I had forgotten about Ron." He and Lavender had broken up. Again. But this time Lavender had said they were over. She'd never done that before, and Ron was still feeling pretty miserable about it. He probably wouldn't want to be at the wedding by himself, surrounded by all the happy couples. "Poor guy."

The sound of Draco's chair scooting away woke Hermione from her sympathies. "Don't feel too sorry for him. I'm sure they'll get back together soon," he said.

When Hermione had talked with Ron last, he hadn't seemed so hopeful about a possible reunion. "Maybe. Maybe not. I think Lavender is really upset with him."

"Should she be?" Draco asked, taking a small sip of his wine.

"I don't know. Ron is Ron. I'm sure he'll eventually want to settle down, but it might not be soon enough for Lavender."

"You know, he might decide he'd rather be with you."

"I doubt it. I think we both know that ship sailed a long time ago. He's moved on."

"And have you?"

Yes, Draco. I seem to have developed feelings for the guy sitting across the table from me, who just so happens to be you, as well as the nosiest git in the world.

"We've already had this discussion. Of course I have. A very long time ago. Why would you think otherwise?"

"Since you broke up he's dated Lavender, and you..." Draco didn't finish the sentence, but she knew what he was thinking.

"Yes, I know, I'm pathetic and haven't dated anyone else. Thanks for pointing that out."

"I didn't mean it that way. You aren't pathetic. You are a successful, intelligent, beautiful young woman, which makes the fact that you aren't dating suspicious."

Whatever. "Well, at least we can be pathetic together," she said, sarcastically. And because she really wanted to know, she asked, "And why aren't you dating anyone else? Who haven't you gotten over? Millicent? Astoria?"

"I was never in love with someone."

"Neither was I!"

"Glad that's settled then," Draco said, smiling at her over his wine glass. And just like that, he was back to normal and Hermione was royally confused. And annoyed. She should have known he was just trying to rile her up. It seemed to be one of his favorite hobbies, and usually she played along. Maybe it was the wine that was making her so disagreeable and moody.