The Teddy

It was a cold and stormy night in May. Anna had been home alone since her mom had left for her business trip to Gothenburg a few days earlier.

She was terrified. The power had gone out and Anna had never figured out how the darn fuse box worked. She had no idea what time it was, the last time she had checked before the power went out it was 11:30pm but that felt like it was ages ago. Sitting there in the darkness she had no sense of time.

Anna had hidden in the downstairs closet in their little farmhouse. It had been the place where she’d always hide when she was a kid and something had scared her. The loud wind had spooked her this time and it made the entire house creak and moan. Being a stubbornly proud girl she didn’t want to admit to her mother that she was afraid of the dark, partially because she knew that her mother would worry about her if she did. Now that was something Anna was regretting deeply, because it would’ve been nice to hear her mother’s sweet voice over the phone telling her that it was nothing to worry about.

“Stop being such a fraidy bat Anna!” she yelled at herself and got out of the closet. Feeling the exhaustion setting in and the adrenaline leave her body she decided that it was time to go to bed. Little did she know that she was going to regret making that decision, she should’ve stayed in the closet.

When she got to the stairs she saw a small figure at the top of the stairs.

“That’s strange…” she thought. It was clearly a teddy bear, but how did it get there? Step by paranoid step she went up the stairs. By the time she was halfway there she noticed something strange about the teddy bear. It wasn’t fluffy and cute like normal teddies. It looked somewhat smooth and like something she couldn’t really identify. As her foot hit the last step, lightning struck and from the light coming through the window she could see the bear clearly. It was made out of human skin and limbs. From the hair and the weird usage of nails for eyes she could see that it was made out of her mother to be exact. It had a note attached to it. It said;

“Do you like my gift?”