“I guess you’ve just talked his ear off over the past nine years, huh?”

“Yeah.” He licked his fingers, “But, doesn’t stop me from talking.” He laughed, “When’s he comin’ back anyway? How come we couldn’t go with?” he pouted.

I furrowed my eyebrows, thinking of how to actually put it into words without making him nervous about Niall going back. “Well, my dad isn’t the nicest. That’s why I was stayin’ with you and Niall for a while. He’s just worried about us, wants us to be safe. You know that, bud.”

“What if he gets hurt?” I hadn’t actually thought about that. I don’t know just how bad his father was, and I know that he can handle his dad with no problem but my dad might be a different story. I frowned, thinking of the possibilities that could happen. My dad could have stayed home from work today for all I know, and he could catch Niall and knock him full out thinking he is an intruder coming to rob his house.

“Niall knows how to handle himself. I’m sure he will be just fine.” Even though I didn’t even believe my own words, I hoped so badly that Anthony did. He’s been gone for four hours already, but it’s only felt like two. “Maybe we could go for a walk—,” I was cut off by the sound of someone knocking on the room’s door. I glanced over at Anthony who only shrugged his shoulders.

A short woman stood in front of me as soon as the door swung open. The breeze making a few strands of my hair move lightly against my neck. “Can I help you?”

“Just checking on you two, that other boy that was staying here asked me to make sure you two were okay.” She smiled, “Actually he told me to check on you at least three times while he was away.” She laughed as I rolled my eyes with a smile.

“Did he say anything else?”

“Just that he wanted me to check on his brother and girlfriend in room 305.” She smiled, “But if you guys are looking for something to do while he’s away, my niece Aubrey is just down the hall in our room, that little boy there looks to be her age.” She gave Anthony a smile as she waved, looking back at me waiting for a response. I put on a small smile again, in hopes that she wouldn’t see the sense that I was worrying a little too much about Niall.

“You stay here too?”

“I thought living here would be easier than driving into work every day.” She beamed, “There is a park down the road if you are interested in leaving the property, but if—“ she motioned towards the nine year old on the bed.

“Anthony.”

“If Anthony wants someone to play with, again my niece is just down the hall and around the corner in room 311.” She nodded subtly before turning on her heels to walk way. I closed the door behind me and raised my eyebrows at Tony.

“How does that sound? You want to go meet Aubrey?” I suggested, “Could make the next two hours till Ni gets back go a little faster.” I shrugged.

“Okay, but girls have cooties.” He scrunched up his face, getting off the spot on the bed that he’s been glued to ever since he woke up. “Do you think she will like to dig in the dirt?” he quietly asked, brushing past me out the door of our motel room. I stifled my giggles, before nodding and shrugging.

“I don’t know maybe.”

“Or maybe she will have a burp off.”

“Sorry to break it to ya, but I doubt she will have a burping contest with you right off the bat.” I laughed.

N I A L L