t w e n t y s e v e n

Start from the beginning

Multiple looks were shot my way, causing me to sink back into the couch.

After yesterday's events, the last thing on my mind was my boss and his obsessive ex-girlfriend.

"Can we just play?" I asked as their gazes began to burn through the depths of my soul.

Since it was only five of us, we decided to play fair and do boys against girls. After a heated game of rock paper scissors, the starting team, which was the boys, went first.

"Prepare your liver, Justin. The girls are going to be serving us rounds for the rest of the night," Logan bragged after he rolled a perfect strike on his first try.

I sucked my teeth before leaning over to whisper to Kass. "That was clearly beginner's luck."

"Hey!" Logan exclaimed from his spot next to Justin. "I heard that!"

"Ladies, let's show them how it's done," Veronica declared while sauntering over to the machine that returns the bowling balls.

It's crucial that nobody interrupts Veronica when she's about to bowl, so when Justin busted out laughing at something that Logan had said, I nearly jumped over the arm of the couch to shut him up.

"Are you trying to die?" I asked after shushing him.

He's out here playing with life as if he has nine lives.

Newsflash, bitch. You're not a cat.

"It's okay, Li," Veronica remarked as she stepped up to the white line. "He won't be laughing after I roll this strike."

"Yeah, right," Justin muttered, snickering to himself.

Even though I couldn't see her face, I just knew that she had her infamous smirk spread across her face.

She took a deep breath before she swung her arm backward.

When she swung it back forward, the ball flew from her fingers, and Kass and I screamed after she managed to knock down all of the pins.

"You were saying?" She questioned while walking past the now speechless boys.

The game went on like this for the next few rounds, and after a while, it became clear who exactly was going to win.

It was my turn to bowl, and my breath hitched when I saw that we were already in the tenth frame.

Last chance.