Chapter One

Three knocks, that's all it took before Steve opened the door. He stood there, wearing a tank top and sweats, and his hair damped from sweat, which only meant he just came back from the gym.

"Hey, didn't expect you here today." He smiled, waving you in.

"I know, but I needed to talk to you."

You walked in to his apartment, and plopped down onto his couch. His place was like your second home. You were always there, and if you weren't, then you two were at your place.
"Beer?" He asked, walking to the kitchen.

"Nah, just water."

Steve tossed you a water bottle, as he started back toward the living room where you waited.
You took a big swig of the water and felt the cold liquid trickle down your throat. Making you feel somewhat at ease.

"So what did you need to talk to me about?" Steve asked, leaning against the wall across from you.

For some reason you were feeling nervous. Which was strange. Steve was your best friend. You two were so close, you were able to talk to him about anything. He's seen you in sweats with no makeup on. He's helped you when you were a drunken mess. And yet, you were somehow nervous about this topic.

"Y/N." he snapped his fingers, catching your attention. "You okay?"

You slowly nodded, running your hand through your hair. Something you did when you were nervous.

"So my sister is throwing a couples party tomorrow night, and when I RSVP'd a month ago, I was dating Jared-"

"The asshole." He cut you off.

"Woah, language." You teased.

He dramatically rolled his eyes and huffed. "Anyways, go on."

"As I was saying, I told her I'd go and now she's expecting me to be there."

"So?" He drawled out.

You swallowed hard, meeting your best friends gaze.

"I was wondering if you can go as my fake boyfriend." You slightly winced as the words finally fell from your lips.

Steve stayed quiet for a moment. Looking at every feature of your face, searching for any sign of bluff.

Though this wouldn't be the first time you two pretended to be together. But it usually followed with a fake fight after catching each other with a one night stand neither of you cared to last.

It was sort of like a game. You'd text him 'BF' and he knew exactly what to do.

You would both laugh about it for hours after the strangers left, and even made fun of each other for what would be said between you two in the "fake" fight.

But to do this for the whole night, and involving family and friends. That was a completely different story.

"Please do me this one solid." You said. "Seriously, I'll do anything. I'll even give you Riley's number from work."

Suddenly he was interested. With the name rolling off your tongue, he started to feel himself lean toward yes.

"Riley, the girl you forbid me to even talk to?" He smirked.

You let out a sigh, and nodded. "Yep. And all you have to do is pretend to be my boyfriend."

Steve crossed an arm over his chest and rested his other hand under his chin. He contemplated to himself for a minute. Going over the pros and cons.

"Steve!" You yelled. "Please!"

He let out a chuckle, giving in. "Okay! Okay!" He surrendered. "I'll be your fake boyfriend."