Chapter1

London, England
Lady Arrington's Ball
1836

"Amelia, please stop sulking, it's unbecoming of a young Lady."

"Mother please, I am hardly fresh out of the schoolroom, and I am not sulking! I'm irritated if you would care to know."

"Irritated you say?" Teased her brother Johnathon, as he approached with his wife Shannon in tow. "It wouldn't have anything to do with a certain Captain we both know, would it?" He asked with a playful grin upon his face. His wife Shannon, Amelia's best friend, tried to hide a grin behind her hand. The action didn't escape Amelia's notice however, as she shot her friend a look of annoyance. "Traitor." She uttered before sticking out her tongue. The unladylike action of course earned her another quelling look from her mother.

"I'm so sorry," she said, stifling a giggle. "Honestly Amelia, I just couldn't help myself. I have to admit, the way you act when he comes around is quite entertaining."

"Well go ahead and laugh at my discomfort. Its easy for you, as you have found your prince charming, even if he is my annoyingly rude brother."

"Annoying? Rude?" Asked Johnathon with mock disbelief. "I take exception to that. I can be quite charming I'll have you know. At least that's what my wife tells me," he said as he pulled Shannon up against his chest and kissed her on the forehead.

Really! Thought Amelia. Could they get anymore nauseating than they already were. They reminded her of the couple's in her penny dreadful novels. Always hugging and kissing whenever they were around each other.

Although she loved reading about it, she hadn't really believed people did that in public. After all, being part of the ton it was mostly discouraged, and frankly frowned upon as common behavior. Most ton marriages were either arranged, or men picked a woman that would bring financial or social status to the union. Marrying for love was something only commoners did. Only they displayed such uncouth behavior in public, according to her mother.

Her brother was fortunate, she gazed foundly. He and Shannon had married for love. Of course being a Viscount and a man helped. Nobody would question his choice in a mate. Women didn't always have a choice in the matter, though in her case she really couldn't complain. Thanks to Johnathon she was being allowed to choose for herself. If left to her mothers devices she would have already been married.

Amelia looked at Johnathon and Shannon again, and sighed. She wanted what they had found, to marry for love. However, the way the season was starting off, her prospects were limited to say the least. Oh, she had plenty of callers, but not one of them held her interest for long. In fact most of them bored her to tears. They were, for the most part, shallow, pompous fools. She honestly didn't know how much longer she could stomach them all. It would be social suicide, however to discourage any of them from paying her court. As her mother would say, 'it was simply not done.'

Lost in her thoughts she hadn't noticed the arrival of one particular suiter to their small group, until it was too late. Of all of the men paying her court, Captain Rogers was by far the worst. He was an arrogant, puffed up dandy. A regular man about town. About town alright she thought. Everywhere she went, there he was. It was no secret that he intended to offer for her. She heard the whispers at every ton event she attended. Over her dead body, she thought.

As if that wasn't enough, her brother of all people encouraged his courtship. He thought the Captain would make her a good husband. He was loyal, he said. He was kind, he said. He was protective, he had said. So was her dog Rufus, she thought amusingly. However, those were not the type of qualities she wanted in a husband. If that were the case, she would have forgone the prospect of marriage all together. After all, she had Rufus, and a fortune to take care of her, thanks to her brother. She really didn't have to worry about the constraints a husband would impose.

Upon further reflection she realized that however, wouldn't make her happy. She wanted more. She wanted a strong man, not just physically, but mentally. He needed to be smart without being pompous. Witty, but not a fool. But most of all adventurous and handsome. He definitely had to be handsome. Captain Rogers did posess that quality at least. She didn't want to admit it, however she couldn't very well deny it. The man was overwhelmingly fortunate in that aspect. In fact she hadn't met anyone who could match his looks but....she had seen someone who may have been equally attractive as the Captain. At least she believed he was. With his mask on however, she really couldn't be sure.

He was a pirate that had saved her life once. He had even stolen a kiss from her. She should have been outraged over the scoundrels behavior, but she wasn't. Instead she was enamored with him. If that's what one could call it, more like infatuated, and definitelytely intrigued.

She desperately wished he would reappear into her life. However, she didn't believe she would ever see him again. He was a pirate after all, and pirates rarely, if ever, attended ton events. She giggled at the notion. Imagining a notorious pirate dancing with one of this season's debutaunts, was certainly amusing.

She came out of her wool gathering and returned to the present when someone cleared their throat. She looked over in her brothers direction, as she was certain the noise came from him. Captain Rogers was standing next to him and staring at her with a questioning expression upon his face.

"Forgive me, did you say something Captain?"

"I did indeed, Ms. Sutton. I asked if you cared to dance. However, I am afraid the music has already begun."

"Oh, my! I'm terribly sorry Captain. Pray forgive my rudeness. I am incredibly thirsty however. Perhaps you would be so kind as to get me a glass of punch? I would be forever grateful. I could meet you on the veranda as it is a veritable crush in here tonight, and quite stifling. I'm afraid I am in need of some fresh air."

"It would be my honor, Ms. Sutton. I shall return to you shortly. Perhaps afterwards then we may have that dance." With that said, Captain Rogers turned away and walked towards the refreshment table.

Amelia excused herself from the others, and made her way out through the throng of people. The cool night air felt amazing on her over heated flesh. It was a beautiful night out. It was clear and bright from the many stars that peppered the sky. There was a soft breeze blowing and the scent of Jasmine filled the air from the gardens below. The aroma mixed with the cool air were both exhilarating, and intoxicating to her senses. Now if she could only remove her heeled slippers she would be forever grateful.

As she was looking down into the gardens an idea instantly formed in her mind. So she began walking towards the bench sitting below a large oak tree, it was rather distant, and quite difficult to see from her vantage point. Of course, being the lady she was raised to be, she chastised herself on the impropriety of what she was about to do. However, comfort out ruled proper behavior, Amelia argued. It was absolutely necessary, she reasoned. So she continued walking until she reached the bench. She looked around her and seeing no one, she sat down and removed her shoes. Then she removed her stockings. When she was finished she immersed her aching feet into the deep luscious bed of grass. It was cool and soft upon her swollen feet, and it felt amazing.

Lost in her euphoria, she didn't hear someone approach from behind. It was too late. Someone grabbed her, covered her mouth with their large palm, and spirited her away.