1. James Potter

James Potter was happy. Today was Halloween and that had always been his favourite day in the entire year. Okay, maybe April fools was just a little bit better but Halloween was definitely in second place. When he and his friends had still attended Hogwarts they would dress up every year and go trick or treating. No one did it better than them. Every teacher who didn't give them candy had to prepare themselves for a prank later that day. One time they even pranked Dumbledore in front of everyone. On Halloween the marauders were Hogwarts' uncrowned kings, the heroes of the night.

James Potter was happy because he heard Lily and Harry in the next room. His wife was humming and laughing and his son was making weird noises James couldn't quite identify but loved nonetheless. His life had been going alright lately, he thought to himself. There was a war raging outside of their windows but in here they felt safe and protected and loved. Even now that their friends couldn't visit them anymore, since they had gone into hiding. James would trust each and every one of these people with his life, knowing that he would give his for theirs.

James Potter was happy because every now and then he would get a glimpse of what was going on in the world around him, ruled of hatred and inequality that it made being imprisoned in his own home more reasonable. At least in here he felt love and comfort and light. James had a perfect wife and a perfect son and he was around them every day and life was bittersweet.

He heard a muffled sound from somewhere. Probably just the cat though. James continued decorating the living room with tiny cauldrons and skulls when he heard a squeak sounding a lot like the front gate. A smile scurried across James' face. His friend were here, they came to celebrate Halloween with him and his family just like last year when Harry had just been born a month prior. James caught himself in old memories when a thought shot through his head. They're not allowed here. No visitors. Apart from Peter they couldn't even enter his property, Dumbledore had been very clear about that.
James hurried to the window, overlooking the sparsely lit street. He saw a dark figure coming up to their door, much taller than Peter was. James knew it was him and he knew what he had to do.

"Lily, take Harry and go! It's him! I'll hold him off!". He heard a scream from the next room and how his wife ran upstairs, guarding their son. James wished he would've kissed them goodbye, well knowing he wouldn't see them again but it was his duty to protect them and if he was able to give them a bit of time to save themselves, it would be worth it. His wand was upstairs but there was no time to get it. James heard steps from downstairs and knew it was time to fight for his loved ones. He moved towards the staircase, unarmed and willing to give his all.

Maybe he could buy his family some time by talking to the dark wizard. Maybe just a few more precious moments. He saw Voldemort come up the stairs, saw living evidence that one of his best friends had betrayed him. James opened his mouth but those evil red eyes didn't even look at him. James Potter heard a laugh and saw a green flash and while he was falling he heard something else. A scream. Lily. Harry.