There was some grumbling. Maude thought it was genius. It was important to be able to cover for missed lines or cues. Jaime was especially good at improvising.

            “Why don’t we start with our resident love birds. They should make this look pretty easy. Come on up Jack and Maude.”

            Jaime tried to hide the smirk as he leaned into Maude. “I don’t think Clem got the memo. Just think of it as couple’s therapy.”

            “Hey,” Jack stood and waved his hand to indicate she should go in front of him. He gave Jaime a playful glare. “I thought we were friends and yet you always take her side.”

            “That’s because you are usually the one being an ass. I have no doubt this time is any different.”

            Maude approached the box and put a tentative hand into its contents. She grabbed the first think her fingers found. It was a smooth surface the size and weight of a medium river rock. She was expecting a paperweight and was surprised to pull out a snow globe. She gave it a shake and watched fake snowflakes settle around the base of the Washington Monument and the White House.

            Clementine shooed her up the small set of stairs to the stage. Jack followed behind her, his own object hidden in his hand. This had disaster written all over it.

            The couple stared at each for a moment, assessing what kind of situation they wanted to find themselves in. They were usually on the same wavelength. One was waiting for the other to take the lead.

            Clem prompted from where she sat. “You can start anytime.”

            Couple’s therapy was echoing through her mind thanks to Jaime. Maude shook the globe again and held it up towards Jack. “So darling, where do you think we should go for vacation this year?” Her voice dripped sweetness. “We had such a wonderful time in DC. Maybe we should go to another big city.”

            Jack gave her a scowl and fidgeted with the small plastic square in his hand. He pulled a think string of dental floss and began winding each end around a finger. “Does it really matter what I think? We always end up doing what you want. SO, why don’t you decide where you want to go and then just let me know.”

            “That’s a bunch of crap and you know it.” Her grip tightened on the object in her hand. “Just last week we had to drive an hour and a half to watch the boy’s basketball game. Just because you couldn’t watch the girl’s home game. You’re the one who can’t compromise.”

            “Really? That’s why my for my birthday we went to that stupid Shakespeare festival.”

            “You love Shakespeare. I thought it was a nice surprise. You never said anything.” She turned away,” so typical. Always bring stuff up after the fact. Guess you won’t have to worry about it this year will you? You can tell your new girl friend exactly what you want and where she should get it.”

            Jack’s hands paused mid way to his mouth, the floss tightening around his clenched fingers. “Whoa, wait a minute. When did I get a new girlfriend? Or maybe you picked her out for me too.”

            Maude regretted those words as soon as they’d come flying out of her mouth. She had to get back in control of the situation. It did feel good to just let go though. Maybe a little too good.

            “I’m sorry that was uncalled for. Though I bet I could do a pretty good job of setting you up on a date.”

            “Oh, really,” intrigue was laced through Jack’s voice. “You think you know me that well?”

            She was digging herself deeper and deeper. What was Clementine thinking with this exercise? Why had she let Jaime get in her head for even a moment? That always led to trouble. It was his fault she and Jack got together in the first place. A soft smile settled on her features as she remembered that warm summer night at the pond.

            Jack had let the dental floss drop to the stage floor. “So?”

            Maude shook the snow globe just because it was in her hand. “So what?” Just maybe he’d let her off the hook. This was supposed to be improve, a fictional situation.

            “I think you should put your money where your mouth is Maudie.” For a brief moment he sounded like Jaime. “I think you should find me a date for this Saturday night.”

            “Yeah, ain’t gonna happen.”

            The Cheshire Cat grin spread across his face, the one dimple on his left cheek taunting her. “I dare you.”

            She resisted the urge to throw Washington DC at his head. “You’re on.”