These thoughts titillated her senses; brought an unbidden grin to her face, which brought an answering frown upon the man’s face above hers. Well, that was just too darn bad! Smiling openly, Marge commented drily, “Is that a fact? Ain’t that just plain providential?”

The gunfighter held Marge’s bland gaze a beat before glancing away with a hesitant grin.

“I certainly thought so. Seein’ as how she owns that prime piece of horseflesh an’ all.”

It was the older woman’s turn to narrow her eyes and frown in puzzlement.

“You stayin’ over there, Mr. McQuade? Do you think that’s wise? Folks around here have some pretty narrow minds, I’m sure you’ll agree. Some more than others. That may not be the smartest move, beggin’ your pardon.”

Marge’s face sobered as another thought crossed her mind. Before Sonny could answer she continued, “Just be careful with that new job of yours, Mr. McQuade, and where it might lead you. The sheriff doesn’t seem to cotton to you at all, especially around Miz West. He’s been preparin’ that field for nigh on a year now, and ain’t plannin’ on entertainin’ any marauders.”

The gunfighter met the older woman’s gaze once more, taking in the unspoken, as well as the spoken, meanings. He took his time in replying, calmly lifting his hat and placing it carefully upon his head, shifting it just so over his hair before wetting his lips again and forming a response.

Sonny liked this woman; found in her a nonjudgmental ally, so he valued her opinions. That didn’t mean he would change his mind, though.

“I’ll take that under advisement, Ma’am. I’m not looking for a fight. Been there, done that.” He paused, and for a moment Marge thought he had finished speaking. But once more the gunfighter licked his lips, skewered her in his quicksilver gaze, and continued lowly.

“But I do believe a woman has a right to choose, and not be bullied into any choices she may or may not want to make. And I don’t get the feeling Miz West carries the same feelings for the sheriff as he for her.”

Marge spiked a brow.

“And you think she does for you?”

The gunslinger gave a mild shrug.

“Don’t know about that, Ma’am, seein’ as I’m just goin’ to train her horse for her.”

Marge resisted the urge to haul off and crack the smug gunman, standing before her all tall and easy on the eyes, trying to get her to believe he had no personal designs on the widow West! But just as quickly as the irritation came, so it left, all while Marge studied the man before her.

 Oh, he was a cool one, was this Sonny McQuade. Calm and collected, with nerves of steel. It would serve him right if he fell for little Miz Callie West. Problem was, would that be the best thing to happen to the young widow? Marge wasn’t sure. But she’d bet her last two bits that McQuade could be the very man to turn Callie West’s head.

Snorting in response to the gunfighter’s glib response, Marge shrugged and moved around the man while saying over her shoulder, “Be that as it may be, Mr. McQuade. Just take care over there.

“Now, I think you’re all settled up with me already, if I’m not mistaken. Just make sure you take everything that’s yours out of the room. Things left behind have a habit of getting lost for good!”

The matron cackled as she bent to her laundry basket once more, not even bidding the gunfighter good bye. After watching her a few beats in silence, Sonny nodded his head once and then pivoted away, intent on his next subterfuge…